This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

The Created/Resolved trend seems incorrect

Hey, everybody. I have a question about the Created Resolved trend in  Solarwinds.

I tend to monitor the helpdesk and be one of the two guys to primarily answer the phone and troubleshoot most tickets. Also I create reports for my boss to look over periodically.

One thing that tends to baffle me are the report numbers from our opened/resolved trend. It seems that more often than not, week by week, month by month, we're creating more tickets than we resolve, however, just from looking at it visually, you'd think we'd be exploding upwards in terms of currently open tickets. The currently open tickets, while high and overwhelmingly more than we have man power to tackle, do not reflect that conclusion.

I've created my own custom charts, using numbers from the reports, to see what the output should look like, and I simply am not getting the same outputs. It does seem kind of close (off by 1) if I start from the current day and go backwards, but on a large scale, it's just off.

Does the created/resolve trend report reflect accurate data?

Here is a report I pulled up and a table in sheets I constructed from that data.

I started with June 1 as an example, where it said we had 94 total open tickets, 28 created, 26, resolved. I understand that total open means tickets that came in from last resolution point + created, so i subtracted how many were created for that day from total open to get a starting point of 66 open tickets at the top of June 1. You can see the data going forward and how, by day 10, it is no where near accurate for today, 6/11. The gray line for the 11th reads 71. I had closed 1 ticket this morning by merging it with another ticket.

Does this numbers loving guy simply not understand numbers?

Could it be that merged tickets do not count as closed tickets, thus throwing off the numbers? We don't merge that many tickets I think.