SolarWinds Platform and Products—Version 2022.4 Is Now Generally Available!
We’re excited to announce a new version of the SolarWinds® Platform, SolarWinds Hybrid Cloud Observability, and individual modules is now generally available. Version 2022.4 is now available for download from our website and for all customers under maintenance via the customer portal. Want to see everything new? Check out the release notes.
For Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced customers, we’re excited to announce the availability of anomaly-based alerts, which leverage our cloud-based AIOps service. Anomaly-based alerts integrate standard Hybrid Cloud Observability alerting with anomaly detection as composed alerts to improve conventional alerts by leveraging machine learning. Read more about this feature in the detailed blog.
For Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced customers, we have a new integration with our security products, SolarWinds Security Event Manager (SEM) and SolarWinds Access Rights Manager (ARM). Customers with deployed SEM and/or ARM products can now integrate with Hybrid Cloud Observability and have visibility into security dashboards within Hybrid Cloud Observability. This allows IT admins to have a single-pane-of-glass view of the top security events and issues they care about, and if required, they can launch in context into SEM or ARM, reducing their mean time to identify issues.
The integration of SEM/ARM is visible as a separate category/tab in Hybrid Cloud Observability. Apart from the summary and dashboard pages, this integration also allows node-based correlations of security events with appropriate SEM/ARM widgets in the node details pages. For more details about the integration, please visit the blog here.
For Hybrid Cloud Observability as well as modules and bundles, we’ve added VeloCloud SD-WAN. Customers can monitor VeloCloud SD-WAN, including the discovery of the overlay network, traffic by path, and performance metrics by path. Discovery of the overlay includes visualization within maps. Data is gathered by SNMP polling and API from VeloCloud Orchestrator. Stay tuned for a future post with more info.
As your environments grow more dynamic, managing what you’re monitoring programmatically becomes more and more important. This release enhances your ability to automate monitoring by expanding the SolarWinds API coverage in two important areas: credential management and API templates.
The ability to manage and update credentials programmatically has been limited to a small set of credential types. This has made it challenging to fully build out automation workflows requiring credential updates. To this end, we’ve started to work toward a common shared credential store and have added verbs for additional credentials used within the platform.
2022.4 adds new SWIS verbs for managing common credentials. Orion.Credential.CreateCredentials and Orion.Credential.UpdateCredentials have been added for creating/editing the following credentials.
- Generic WMI credentials
- WMI credentials specific to SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM)
- API key credentials (used by "Send HTTP Request" action)
- Email server basic authentication credentials
- SNMPv3 credentials
- SNMPv2/v1 credentials (discovery only)
- CLI polling credentials
Assign API Templates
Customers in dynamic environments—especially the cloud—have been leveraging the SolarWinds Platform API to add nodes and assign out monitoring, controlling what they’re monitoring programmatically. One missing part of this was the ability to assign API templates. With 2022.4, you can now use the Orion.API.Poller.AssignTemplate to assign an API template to a node programmatically.
Both improvements are available for all products built on the SolarWinds Platform.
We continue to invest in improving the SolarWinds Platform and our products, adding the features and device support our customers ask for. These features are available for specific modules and Hybrid Cloud Observability.
- Improved Interface Status: Interfaces have status (up, down, unmonitored) and thresholds (%utilization, #errors, #discards), but currently, neither of these impact overall status. When these thresholds are exceeded, however, the status of the interface doesn’t change to reflect the condition. This is especially confusing when receiving an alert notifying you a particular interface has crossed a "warning" or "critical" threshold with a link taking you to an Interface Details view showing the interface status as green/up. This feature is available in SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor and Hybrid Cloud Observability.
- Linux Log Analysis: Monitor Linux log files in SolarWinds Log Analyzer and Hybrid Cloud Observability with similar functionality to monitoring Windows Event Logs.
- Support for Juniper RPM: Monitor Juniper devices for packet loss, round-trip time, and jitter via RPM. This feature is available in SolarWinds VoIP & Network Quality Manager (VNQM) and Hybrid Cloud Observability.
- Security and Bug Fixes: See the release notes for the platform and each product for more details.
We focus on securely coding, building, and delivering software to you, as we shared in our blog post, SolarWinds Aims to Set New Standard in Software Development With Next-Generation Build System. The choices we made in forging the SolarWinds Platform align with our Secure by Design philosophy, enhancing our ability to execute on this vision now and in the future.
The 2022.4 release is fully tested and supported and is ready for you to install on a new server or update your current one.
- For all current Hybrid Cloud Observability customers, the release is available now. You can log in to your customer portal and download it.
- For all current module and bundle customers, the release is available now. You can log in to your customer portal and download it.
- If you don’t own Hybrid Cloud Observability but would like to try it or one of its new features, there are a couple of options for you:
- Download a 30-day free trial and install it on a new server.
- If you’re a current module or bundle customer, upgrade to 2022.4 first and use the new instant evaluation feature to try Hybrid Cloud Observability for 30 days with only a click of a button. And don’t worry; you can switch back to your modules anytime.
The 2022.4 release of the platform and products is a huge step forward, but we aren’t done yet. Check out our What We’re Working On post for what’s coming next for the platform and its features.
—The SolarWinds Team