This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Discovery Agent and macOS Monterey support?

I'm trying to certify MacOS Monterey for our environment, and while the Solarwinds Discovery Agent runs just fine on Monterey, it does not appear to install on Monterey.

Several machines that were upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey and had the Agent already installed were able to keep running the Agent.

When I tried to apply one of my usual configurations to install the Agent on a machine already running Monterey, the OS throws an error window:

Error message with words "can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"T

This is on an M1 Mac, using my Jamf policy that drops the install assets into a temp directory then calls the script with --mode unattended. Worked great on the same machine with Big Sur, and survived the upgrade to Monterey.  Then after a fresh install of Monterey the policy did not work and threw the error.

Also failed with the same message when I simply downloaded the DMG fresh from the SWSD setup page.

The process for deploying this via something like Jamf (a modern MDM system) is extremely clunky and does not align with current practices in app deployment. What is the current supported process for centralized deployment on MacOS Monterey?

  • my team is running into the issues with installing the discovery agent on MacBooks with the Monterey OS as well.  Doesn't work for intel or ARM machines with the most recent version available for download. 

  • Hi,

    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our engineering team is looking into the issue and what changed between Big Sur and Monterey that would cause these issues. 

    If you haven't already, I recommend opening a support ticket either via the customer portal or emailing This way we can keep you up to date on the progress of the fix. I will also update this forum when we have an update. 



  • I've sent a message to support (thanks for providing the email!). I copied verbatim my text from this post.

    Strike One: agent replied with assumption that I'm trying to manually install:

    "I have seen this message before. It turned out that the app needed to be allowed. For any application you download outside the Apple Store, you have to go to “System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and allow it (if you aren't scripting the install)."

    First of all, it's incorrect that you must override any app downloaded outside the App Store -- only apps not correctly signed and notarized. Second, he ignored the fact that I am trying to use Jamf.

    Should I ask for this to be escalated now, or should I give him a chance to correct himself?

  • Can you please send me a private message with your case number? I will escalate it on our end. 

  • If SWSD Agent for MacOS is sending a block by MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (..Check it for malicious software), this is the configuration from the MacOS, 

    Some recommended steps are:

    - Review options on MacOS > Security and Privacy

    - Other options are Enable root credentials on the Apple Mac system, just during the installation.

    - Disable System Intrusion Protection (SIP), just during the installation

    Review documentation on the vendor for the OS, according the previous topics and under support and developer site.

    And if it helps, please advise the change was made.

  • I would like the solution to this as well as none of the MACs are getting the discovery agent no matter how we try to deploy it.  

  • The issue mentioned in this post shouldn't be an issue anymore. The issue we used to have was the agent was not signed by Apple by that has now changed. If you have an older agent downloaded, we recommend downloading the new agent by going to Setup - Discovery - Installation.

  • I can attest to Joey's comment being the truth. Until I saw this post I actually thought my MBP was reporting correctly.  As soon as I installed the latest SWSD agent, my device was updating in inventory.