This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Copy an existing widget on a page to another summary page

Hi,

How do you copy an existing widget which has data in it onto another (currently blank) summary page?

For example:

Onto Adnan test page:

• There is no method in the UI to copy a widget from one page to another, only one page to a sub-page. It is possible to do, but means manipulation of the database, which it not advised for most.

• First understand caveat...

However, if you simply want the same widget to appear on two pages then the only real solution is to re-create or re-add the widget. In the case of the Network Atlas map, then you would need to look at your current map widget settings, and if it shows this:

then, as far as I know, the only way you could duplicate and/or copy would be to also duplicate the map in Network Atlas and then rename the new copy to match (precisely) the name of your page - in the above case that would be: Adnan test page

• , there is (or at least used to be) a method to export resources from one view, then import them into a new/different view. As others have stated, messing with the DB directly is a good way to create some fun problems later on, and you could always manually re-add the widget and configure it the same too.

The method I have used in the past, created by an old THWACK MVP, Marc Netterfield (mesverrum), is a PowerShell script he created, which will pull the view/resource and dump it out to a file. Then you can push that widget file back into a different view. Since it is using the API, and not directly messing with the DB, it should hold up. I have used this method numerous times in the past, and it has done exactly what you are asking. Additionally, I use it to simply backup all my widgets and views, making it easy to go back in time, or port entire pages of configured widgets into new systems if needed.

I'll see if I can find a link to it, and post it when I find it.

Thank you,

-Will

• , here is a link to Marc's GitHub page, which is a treasure trove of SolarWinds gems.
    https://github.com/Mesverrum/MyPublicWork

These are the ones I have used in the past, and they have worked wonderful for me.