This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

what is "node is down" status determined?

Hi,

I need to lock down my Solarwinds (NPM, WPM, SAM, NTA) for security reasons. My first attempt was to lock it down with firewall policies to restrict traffic in and out of the Solarwinds server based on a Solarwinds port requirements https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/orionplatform/Content/core-solarwinds-port-requirements.htm. However, shortly after I've lock it down, all 100+ nodes reported "node is down" and I got 100+ emails for them. The monitored nodes include Windows (WMI), Linux (SNMP) and network devices (switches, firewalls). I have two questions:

1. How does it determine a node is down? Is it by the specified polling method (WMI, SNMP, etc) or just ICMP? The fact all of themreported down about the same time makes me suspect it uses ICMP.

2. Is there a way to easily disable ALL alerts temporarily? I see about 90 alerts have enabled state in Alert Manager and I can't tell which ones are actually used. In order to avoid false alerts sending out, I am hoping there is a simple way to disable ALL alerts and they won't send out alerts generated during disabled time after re-enabled.

Thank you.

• Hello,

1. it depends what is sent in list of resources for status pooling.

2.  You can stop executing alerts actions for all of them at once.
    Go to All Active Alerts tab and go to more and Pause actions of all alerts.

In this way you will be able to see what alerts are triggered but no action will be executed.