This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Backup - SOAP API Guide - 101

There are two types of web services in the SolarWinds Backup and Recovery Cloud (formely the IASO Cloud):

Both of the types of services are exposed via the SOAP protocol.Use this link for the latest WSDL version with request schemas for the SOAP API services.

I downloaded manserv.xml, what now?

Well for those unfamiliar with SOAP, this xml file is structured as a WSDL document which  stands for "Web Service Definition Language" As you may have guessed, it describes location and all of the methods of the service.  Here is the SOAP Request which needs to be sent in order to login to Solarwinds Backup.

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:urn="urn:iaso-com:cloud:mansvc:14.0.0">

<soapenv:Header/>

<soapenv:Body>

<urn:Login>

<request>

<partnerName>PARTNER</partnerName>

<userName>USER</userName>

<password>PASSWORD</password>

</request>

</urn:Login>

</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

To use send this request you need a SOAP client. There are many out there, but I choose to use SoapUI.

Create a new project, right click and add the WSDL. SoapUI creates a tree structure for all of the requests.

SOAUI1.png

Lets go down at take a a look at the Login Request. This requests has 3 parameters, I'm hoping you know 2 of these.

• UserName
  • Password
  • Partner Name

To find your Partner Name, login to https://backup.management. The PartnerName is the top level item, in this case Solarwinds SE. Take note, values are case sensitive.

SOAUI3.png

Filling in the values required and clicking the play button sends the request to the endpoint https://cloud.iaso.com/manserv. If everything is OK with the variables you supplied, you will see a response similar to below indicating you have authenticated successfully.

SOAUI2.png

The response contains a very important value, <common:visa> which we will need to make further requests. Copy this value to the clipboard and expand the GetPartnerInfo Request. Enter the values for <urn:visa> and <name> (PartnerName) and click play.

SOAUI4.png

This response will give us the <id> for the ParnerName. With the values for PartnerId and the CommonVisa, you have enough information to make most of the requests available such as EnumerateStorageStatistics

Some Requests require additional parameters such as EnumerateAccountStatistics which expects a list of columns names, which can be found in teh response from EnumerateColumns!

Hopefully this is enough information to get you on your way to using the Solarwinds Backup API.

In the next article I will show how to create a Web Services Proxy Class in Visual Studio , and retrieve all the available statistics for the managed nodes.