This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring multiple instances of an app on the same server

Hopefully I can explain this in a way that'll make sense.

We have some custom applications that we want to monitor with SAM. Normally, when talking about monitoring applications, it goes 'Application > Server > Status', and typically, there would only be one instance of said application, then each server listed under it, like this:

In the case of these applications though, while the applications are running on a few servers, there are multiple instances on each server, so what I was able to 'cobble together' looks like this:

But I'm not sure that the way I did it is the only/best way to do it. Part of it being while what's being monitored is an HTTPS connection, I couldn't figure out how to get it to say something other than 'HTTPS Monitor'. I was able to add a description and figured out how to have alerts use the description so we'd know which instance was out, but it would be nice if we could have the instances show 'Instance 1', Instance 2' etc. The other part is it's partially based off a template, but after the first or second instance, they've been added manually to each monitor. If I were to just use a template, and then edit the template when we needed to add an instance, would that change to the template automatically be applied to the monitors where it's applicable, or would that change only apply to future deployments of that template?

Does any of this make sense? If not, is there any other information that might help?

Thanks,