This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Volume of syslog/SNMP traps,LEM can handle per hour ??

Hello ,,

Kiwi syslog can handle 2 millions syslog message an hour(without any rules) so does any limitation has been marked for LEM ?

Parents
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

There is no explicit limit on the amount of syslog/SNMP trap volume per hour with LEM. Without any correlation rules and only storing in the raw log store, we're talking tens of thousands per second. With correlation rules and using connectors to parse the data, we're still talking hundreds on the low end to thousands per second depending on available resources (CPU, memory, disk space).

• Thanks Nicole for the detail.I am planning to configure security devices to send syslog to LEM which sends 2.5millions syslog messages/hour so I am wondering whether LEM will be able to handle or not?

I am looking for any recommendation from Solarwinds on volume of acceptable messages per hour without any rules.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to neerajmishra

It's a relatively high volume, but not unheard of for LEM. With rules/alerts you'll probably have to assign more RAM/CPU. You might want to even just to collect it, but it's hard to say, if you're just storing those events the default allocations might be fine. You could likely increase that by 50-100% and still be fine.

• It's look LEM can handle plenty of event. Do we have any internal tool in LEM to monitor the RAM/CPU resource rater than using Orion?

For data storage, seem LEM is using the FILO method to store the log and event. How much event or log will use 1 GB space on the storage? I know this question might be base on lots of assumption.However, having a maximum size of a event will be useful to calculate how much storage is require for my LEM for long term event storage.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to colinshe

Right now, there isn't an internal LEM tool - most customers are using the hypervisor to track memory/CPU usage (if you have Orion or Virtualization Manager you could track it there, too).

It's hard to calculate. The easiest way (arguably) is if you're trialing LEM to do the math based on real data: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How many days of live data will the LEM database store?

Reply Children
No Data