This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

LEM Thoughts of the Week: What IT Security Buzzword Drives You Nuts?

FormerMember
FormerMember

In honor of the RSA Conference (et al) this week, where buzzwords and BS are sure to be running high...

What IT Security buzzword or nonsense trend drives you nuts? What's your pet peeve topic, question, product, or buzzword? Read an article recently that made you say "that's nonsense" or cringe?  Maybe one of those irritating "security predictions for 2014" articles that says the same thing every year, or states the obvious?

Mobile security is one of my favorites over the last 5 years. This year will be the year of AV on phones, I'm sure of it! If we're wrong, now let's call it something else - mobile device management, BYOD...

What about you?

PS: We'll have an early topic of the week on Thursday for next week thanks to this month's customer newsletter. emoticons_happy.png

Parents
  • BIG DATA is one of those buzz terms that I find frustrating because without context it doesn't have a lot of meaning yet you see it getting used constantly in the industry.  While the term certainly seems to have gained traction in getting a definition it still doesn't have much meaning without context.  In many of the groups in LinkedIn I see companies trying to sell me solutions for my "Big Data" and I really have no idea what it is they are trying to help me with; that's not to mention the fact it also comes across much to similar to a male enhancement ad.

• Big Data....yea right.  Sales people try to keep selling me products to solve my Big Data issue.  Then I tell them how much space I have in the SAN and they walk away.  

I am still dealing with small data.  What about me?

RT

Reply Children