This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Each of the 5 customer sites need to operate in isolation from one another

Hello Thwack community! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My company is planning on how we will implement monitoring for a customer that has 5 sites. We are still very much in the beginning phases trying to decide on products and architecture. I am a big fan of Solarwinds and have worked with it for a few years but it’s always been 2 site active/active architecture I’m familiar with.

I’m having a hard time understanding how to fulfill this customer requirement “each of the 5 customer sites need to operate in isolation from one another”. All 5 sites are within a 245 mile area and they have nodes at each site that need to be monitored. I have some other coworkers recommending adding Nagios but I want to see if we can do it with just Solarwinds because Nagios is trash.

Example 4 sites go down. I’m thinking the customer means the definition of that last 1 site “operating while isolated” means:

1) Monitoring tool within minutes or seconds keeps recording (i.e. polling) monitoring metrics of any device still up during the disaster and keeps saving it to a storage (i.e. database). What if the Solarwinds database was at one of those 4 sites that went down? Does this mean we need a database at each site? If we get if we get 4x high availability licenses will that come with 4x additional polled engines that will remain dormant until a disaster?

2) All staff located at the last site up can still login monitoring console to view what is happening in the environment? If we get 4x high availability licenses will that come with the ability to view monitoring console if 4 out of 5 sites go down? I read documentation that says “It does not protect your databases or your additional web servers” but the word additional confuses me.

More detail

We want these modules NPM, NTA, NCM, UDT, NTM, SAM but we can get away with only NPM and SAM being available at all 5 sites if need be.

About 700 nodes when you add up all 5 sides

About 9000 elements

Parents
  • Hi 

Will you be having HA installed? Maybe a silly question but does the Solar Winds server have to be at the 5 sites? 

• I'm not sure if the Solar Winds server has to be at the 5 sites that is what is confusing me. Each of the 5 sites need to be able to do the following independently and not relying on each-other:

1) The 5 sites need to keep polling monitoring metrics on nodes

2) Users at each of the 5 sites will need to still be able to access web console while not relying on outside sites

What if the Solarwinds database was at one of those 4 sites that went down? Does this mean we need a database at each site? If we get if we get 4x high availability licenses will that come with 4x additional polled engines that will remain dormant until a disaster?

• Each HA license provides redundancy for an individual main or additional polling engine. There is no need to purchase more APE license for redundancy. 

Reply Children
No Data