This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrating Patch Manager

We are migrating our Patch manager setup onto a new server which will host it using HYPER-V.  I cant seem to find much information on extracting configurations etc. from the Patch manager.  Can someone point me in the right direction or give assistance?

Thanks

• first make a data base backup, up the new server change the ip address ( the old server ) to new serve, and the finish restore the data base server.

emoticons_happy.png

i wat to have help you.

• are you using sql express on the same server as patch manager or a remote sql server?

• I am using SQL Express on the same server as of now.  I guess I should have clarified and asked if there any best practices for migrating Patch Manager to another server.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

• Ive moved my SQL server from express to remote but never the whole install.  I would assume its pretty simple, just install it on the new server and run the settings wizard

This was the only documentation I used

SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Migrating a Local or Remote Patch Manager Database to a Remote SQL Server

I dont know if thats what you are looking for though

• Asked this exact same question of Support a little while ago, this is the response I got

"Hi Tony,

Migration of a Patch Manager server is not possible. You will not be able to use the existing database for a new install either unfortunately.

This will require installation of a new Patch Manager server on the new server. There are also considerations for dealing with scenarios where WSUS and Patch Manager are not installed on the same version of Windows.

Please be sure to review Using Patch Manager and WSUS in a mixed OS environment when planning the full deployment scenario.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/geek-speak_tht/blog/2013/11/13/using-patch-manager-on-server-2012-with-wsus-v3

Essentially what you need to do:

Install the new Patch Manager server in evaluation mode and get everything configured (except the 3rd Party Updates catalogs).

Deactivate the original Patch Manager server license (this will put it back in eval mode, and you should have 30 days to wrap up it's use).

Activate the new Patch Manager server and configure the 3rd Party Updates catalogs.

You can export custom packages and custom reports if any, then import back to your new patch manager install.

You will be unable to install the new Patch Manager server using the existing SQL instance due to the same database name.

Please let me know if this helps or if you require further assistance."

So basically you pretty much have to completely rebuild your environment.