This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade Reader with msi patch and transform

I am trying to create an MSI package to upgrade any previous versions (8x, 9x, 10x) of Adobe Reader to version 10.1.3 using an MSP patch and a transform but it's not working as expected. When I run the package on a machine that has a previous version (10.1.1), the task history shows that the install completed successfully, but Reader is not updated on the machine. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

As a template, I used the Solarwinds package "Adobe Reader 10.1.3 (Full) and changed the settings on the Select Package screen:

Type: Windows installer file (.msi)

Package: AcroRead.msi (this is the 10.1.0 installer)

Download URL: <the path to the .msi on my file server>

Additional files: 6 files, packageboot.xml, packageboot.exe, AcroRead.msi, AdbeRdr.mst, AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp,

Command Line: PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp TRANSFORMS=AdbeRdr.mst

The command line arguments are based on information in the Acrobat Enterprise Administration guide (, section (pg 65):

Example 5.2: msiexec: Updating 10.x products

msiexec.exe /i "[UNC PATH]\AdbeRdr1000_lang_ID.msi" PATCH="[UNCPATH]\AdbeRdrUpd1010_en_US.msp" TRANSFORMS="1036.mst"

I also added an applicability rule to check that AcroRd32.exe exists, since I don't want to install reader on machines that don't have a previous version installed.

  • A few notes here.

    • You cannot apply an MST to an MSP, only to an MSI-based installation; however, you may be able to apply an MSP and MST simultaneously -- I've never built a package to do that though.
    • The Reader 10.1.3 MSP can only be used to upgrade Reader 10.1.x systems. To upgrade a Reader v8, v9, or v10.0.x system, you will need to use the EXE-based full installer, available in the Patch Manager catalog.
    • Because the Patch Manager package is based on the EXE installer, to build a package from the embedded MSI package, you'll likely have to start from scratch and determine the necessary detection and installed criteria, as well as determine what else might be occurring in the EXE wrapper that you may need to reproduce elsewhere.

    As far as your package running successfully (but not installing, apparently) on a 10.1.1 system -- if your package is based on the 10.1.0 base installer, the MSI is probably not executing at all, as the Windows Installer manifest will recognize that product as already updated, and thus the 10.1.0 MSI is NotApplicable to that system.

    I believe, to achieve what it seems that your ultimate objective is.. you will need to strip Reader from the machine, install 10.1.0 using the MSI and MST, and then PATCH that 10.1.0 MSI/MST installation to 10.1.3 using the MSP.

  • There has been some changes to the packages since the original .mst video that is in the support files. That video demonstrates how to use an msi to create your mst and package. The new package files contain an .exe.

    I was successful to convert and deploy a package the way your wanting to with a fewsteps outlined below. In this example I am using adobe reader 10.1.2 After some testing it is possible to do this.

    The original exe file does need to be extracted via the command as described here:

    AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"<extraction path>" -sfx_ne

    For example if you are wanting to extract to the “C:\adobe_extracted” folder you previously created it would be:

    AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\adobe_extracted " -sfx_ne

    Then after building the mst with the customization wizard pointed at the associated Acroread.msi you can deploy the package.

    1. You must point the package at the setup.exe from the extraction (not the original) and upload to server.
    2. You must include all the additional 6 files from the directory where you extracted the exe.
    3. It should contain ABCPY.INI, AcroRead.msi, adbeRdrUpd1012.msp,,setup.ini, and the created :”yourmstfile.mst”
    4. The setup.ini file will have all references to the .mst and .msp required for the update
    5. You do not need a transform rule as the setup.ini  contains all the appropriate information.
    6. The transform deployment was successful on the machine with all requested changes.

    Please follow as described here and follow up with any questions. Hope this helps!

  • Thank you Brendon, that worked perfectly!

    I still don't understand why I couldn't use the .MSI installation with the PATCH and TRANSFORM switches like I was trying at first, but I could never get it to work, even though it works fine from the command line. WSUS must do some sort of pre-validation check on the msi that doesn't take the command line patch into account.

  • This worked great.  Using the Adobe Customization Wizard and simply loading all of these files into a PM package was very easy.  Thanks for the tip!