How do I create KPI modern dashboard for VPN connected user total

We just upgraded to Orion 2020.2. I am looking at the "My Dashboards" feature and want to create the KPI box with all my VPN routers reporting their connected users. My failure I am having is creating the SWQL query to display the data. Would anyone have the layout in the graphical query builder? I am not well versed in SQL or SWQL queries. Any help is much appreciated 

Top Replies

•  are you looking for something as simple as the widget below to display a count of users connected?

Widget.JPG

If the above is what you are looking to achieve then the below SWQL should give you the desired…

• Can you go into more detail on what type of VPNs you're using? If you search in the left column for "vpn" within swql studio it'll show you just the fields pertaining to VPN. 

• We are using Cisco anyconnect. What I am trying to achieve is a KPI widget with all the VPN sessions with the sum of all ASA connections. We currently have the anyconnect spread across 5 different ASA's.

•  are you looking for something as simple as the widget below to display a count of users connected?

Widget.JPG

If the above is what you are looking to achieve then the below SWQL should give you the desired results.

SELECT
    count ([data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[UserName]) AS [Number]
    FROM orion.asa.node AS data
    where [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[EncryptionAlgorithm] = 1
    and ([data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[NodeId] = XXX or [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[NodeId] = XXX)
    and [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[DisconnectedTime] is null

Where the XXX is the Solarwinds NodeID of your ASA Devices, in our situation we only have 2 of then, but if you have 5 then you will have to expand this line to cover all 5 devices.

• This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much for the help. 

• Does anyone have any tips on getting this type of information when using FTD2110 instead of ASA? I've been bruising my forehead hitting my desk looking for an answer 

• Slightly modified and the count is exactly what you see in the 'Remote Access VPN' tab

SELECT
    count ([data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[UserName]) AS [Number]
    FROM orion.asa.node AS data
    where [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[SessionStatus] = 1
    and ([data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[NodeId] = XXX or [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[NodeId] = XXX)
    and [data].[RemoteAccessSessions].[DisconnectedTime] is null

• If you're using a custom UDP poller then the SWQL query would be as follows:

SELECT CurrentValue

FROM Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignmentOnNode

Where NodeID = 'X' AND DisplayName LIKE 'XXXXXXX'

X = SolarWinds Node ID

XXXXXXX = Name of the poller. It is usually something like crasNumSessions

Hope this helps.