This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Intervals - Best Practices

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hello,

I had a tech reset all intervals back to default values.

The original Tech who setup the system has left the company

Is there a best practice to setting these polling intervals?

Parents
  • I don't know about best practice, but here's how I use Orion.

I use Orion to several needs, I would say:

1. Normal Orion use, to see what's going on in network.

2. To save historical traffic data to see trends and when network should be updated, which of course mean big DB (about 70 GB now).

3. As alert system for device failures and real time monitoring, which mean frequent polling rate. Actually, even more frequent rate would be better, to show node status real time (as OpenView shows, which I used before).

My settings may be different from typical user, but here are they in case you're interested:

pollinginterval.png

My polling engine looks like this:

pollingengine.png

So, as Zackm told, everything depends on what you want to see. Some may want to poll everything in every 10 seconds period, but doesn't need history more than few hours. Someone is interested in long period trends only...

• I don't know about best practice, but here's how I use Orion.

I use Orion to several needs, I would say:

1. Normal Orion use, to see what's going on in network.

2. To save historical traffic data to see trends and when network should be updated, which of course mean big DB (about 70 GB now).

3. As alert system for device failures and real time monitoring, which mean frequent polling rate. Actually, even more frequent rate would be better, to show node status real time (as OpenView shows, which I used before).

My settings may be different from typical user, but here are they in case you're interested:

pollinginterval.png

My polling engine looks like this:

pollingengine.png

So, as Zackm told, everything depends on what you want to see. Some may want to poll everything in every 10 seconds period, but doesn't need history more than few hours. Someone is interested in long period trends only...

Children
No Data