This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP Trap & Orion NPM Integration?

Can the SNMP Trap Alerts grab information from Orion NPM custom variables assigned to the same host or are they two completely seperate tools that do not share information?

--Mark.

Parents Reply Children
  • When a SNMP Trap comes in for system A, I want to trigger an alert that sends an e-mail out and include in that e-mail some custom variables that I have for system A in Orion NPM.  For example, a cold start might be received and I might in turn send an e-mail that has the contact information for System A which is grabbed from NPM.

--Mark 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mstensta
    You should be able to use: ${type.<fieldName>}

Example: ${Node.MyCustomProperty}
  •  Great!  Thanks so much!  I'll give it a try.

• You should
    be able to use: ${type.<fieldName>}

Example: ${Node.MyCustomProperty}

I must be doing something wrong, as this isn't working for me.  Here is what I'm using:

${DateTime} : ${MESSAGETYPE}  ${MESSAGE}
    Owner: ${Node.SystemManager}

When I receive the e-mail I'm getting:
    11/27/2007 10:08 AM : CYBERSWITCHING-MIB:cyberswitching.0.13  SNMP Trap
         Received Time:11/27/2007 10:08:40 AM
         Source:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX(XXXX)
         Community:XXX
         Variable Bindings
              sysUpTime:= 131 days 11 hours 15 minutes 25.64 seconds (1135892564)
              snmpTrapOID:= CYBERSWITCHING-MIB:cyberswitching.0.13 (1.3.6.1.4.1.14300.0.13)
              triBankTrapped:= 1
              bCurrentStr.1:= 16.4A
              bCurrentInt.1:= 16
              experimental.1057.1:= XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
              snmpTrapEnterprise:= CYBERSWITCHING-MIB:cyberswitching (1.3.6.1.4.1.14300)

Owner: ${Node.SystemManager}

As you can see, it's not listing out the custom variable.
    --Mark.

• Great!  Thanks so much!  I'll give it a try.

I am experiencing the same problem. Those variables seem to work only for the advanced alerting engine and don't work for basic or trap alerts.
  • There seems to be some confusion on this issue. Only advanced alerts allow you to access the custom properties and build variables dynamically. Basic alerts, syslog, and traps each have their own finite set of variables that are supported.

To answer the original question, you can not access the custom property values from the variables in Trap service.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry.  My bad.  I asked a question of Development without sufficient context and then posted the answer.  Our long-term plan is to consolidate the alert engine in Syslog and Traps into  the advanced alert engine, but I don't have a definite time frame on that yet.

•  Ah, that would explain it.  I definitely would like this added to the feature request list.  I'm also interested in using advanced alerting capabilities with SNMP traps.  For example, let alerts be based on OIDs AND custom variables.

--Mark.

• I know the answer os probably no but I'll try anyway.

Is there any way to filter out the info from the trap message that you do not want and only get the necessary info? In my case with the trap alert there is too much info. A big issue is the community string is being sent,

Would there be a workaround using advanced alerts?

• Hello,

I wanted to see if there has been any update to this?  We are using Orion to replace some software that we have used and we do most of our alerting from trap's we've recieved.  Not being able to pull out the needed information and format the messages in a simlar matter isn't a good position for us to be in.  Is there anyway to use the advanced alerts with traps?   We are curring running NPM 9.0 SP2. 

Thank you...