This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can NCM perform configuration backup/download when adding a node for the first time

When you add a new node to Orion (with NCM installed) there's a selection to choose to add it to NCM (or not add it).

If you choose to 'add it to NCM', is there a way to get NCM to perform an immediate configuration download on its own, just by adding/saving the node into the system ( i.e. it performs an initial download on its own, at the moment the new node is added/saved, not by manually choosing to download the configs *after* you've added the node)

• Hi ...

I'm pretty sure it can't do that, and that you need to either manually kick off a backup. The only possible solution I can think of is that you use a custom property of some form - say call it "new_node" with a Y/N option. Then during discovery assign it to Y and then have an automated job that runs on a daily basis (or other preferred schedule) and then create a n ew job.

In the 'Choose Nodes' section switch to 'Dynamic Selection', then find your custom property and use that to dynamically select the new nodes.

The downside here is that you would need to go and change the CP to be N after the first backup. For me, that would have to be a manual process, but I'm sure some clever THWACKster could create a script that essentially says:

Does node '123' have backup? If yes, set CP 'new_node' to N.

• Hi

1.NCM utilise  "job" like  "Nightly Config Backup" you should see that in your default jobs.. 

2.NCM also support some trap/syslog backup that when the device inform that there was a config chnage..

• Thanks for the info!

Answer: As of Aug 2022, There's "a few ways to get it to work" (even if manual intervention is needed) but not a "built in way"

The "trap/syslog" configs I saw but I'm not sure if we want to set up the "real time config change" notifications (yet), and they appear to be "after initially set up" , not on the initial adding of the device to NCM.  My guess is that the trap/syslog for real time config change detection would only take effect after the first initial config is pushed.