This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Multiple issues with NCM after eval expired

Good morning!

I have opened two support tickets on this (still have one open currently) but wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas since things are moving slowly with support (sounds like they are very busy).  I posted this on Friday and it said my post was awaiting moderation, but I still don't see it showing up.  I hope this isn't a duplicate - my apologies if it is.

Here is a timeline of events with my NCM install:

1. Started evaluation late May/early June
  2. Everything worked FLAWLESSLY with the product – absolutely no complaints, issues, errors, etc.
  3. Evaluation expired
  4. Had some problems out of NPM on 8/5 and realized there was a hotfix available, so I applied that.
  5. Purchased and applied permanent NCM key on 8/15
  6. Have had problems ever since

I'm not suggesting that the permanent key has caused the problems, but maybe something went wacky when I applied a hotfix while the product was in an expired state?  I don't know.

At first I discovered "jobs" were failing.  After some troubleshooting with support, they advised me to enable "LegacyTransferJobCollectorProcessing" under the Advanced Configuration.  This fixed the original issue I was having, but looking back, it feels more like a bandaid for an underlying issue.  If I remove this setting, jobs fail again.  Here is the error I get:

ERROR: Running config: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/orion/dpe/businesslayer that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

I have since noticed that inventory does not work either, which prompted my most recent ticket.  When running an inventory, the "Update Inventory..." box stays there indefinitely.  If I go to the the inventory status page, I see this message for each node I ran an inventory against:

Unable to connect to polling engine [REDACTED] on the relevant server. Check logs for details

I'm concerned there are more things within NCM that aren't working that I haven't discovered yet.  Here are some alarms that get generated whenever I reboot the server or restart services (shown under the NOTIFICATIONS/bell icon in the web console):

Plugin "DPE Business Layer" failed to start on [REDACTED]. Please restart the Module Engine service on [REDACTED].
Plugin "CLI Business Layer" failed to start on [REDACTED]. Please restart the Module Engine service on [REDACTED].
Plugin "NCM Inventory Business Layer Plugin" failed to start on [REDACTED]. Please restart the Module Engine service on [REDACTED].
Plugin "Device Studio Business Layer" failed to start on [REDACTED]. Please restart the Module Engine service on [REDACTED].

Lastly, here are some of the troubleshooting steps I've tried:

- Reboot server

- Restart services

- Repair the install

- Upgrade to latest version/hotfixes

- Completely uninstall and reinstall NCM module

I have requested escalation with my ticket but things still seem to be moving pretty slowly.  Hope some of you may be able to offer some insight.  Thanks!!

mitch

Parents
  • Hi,

Did anyone get a resolution to this issue?

Last week we upgraded from 2018.4 to the latest 2020.2.4 release and are experiencing the same issue with failing plug-ins causing NCM scheduled job to fail.  In particular config backup schedules fail but manual config downloads work.

I'm seeing the same set of events for failed plug-ins when restarting the Orion Module Engine, although not always do they all alert.

Not getting anywhere with my tech support case

Regards

David

• Hi,

Did anyone get a resolution to this issue?

Last week we upgraded from 2018.4 to the latest 2020.2.4 release and are experiencing the same issue with failing plug-ins causing NCM scheduled job to fail.  In particular config backup schedules fail but manual config downloads work.

I'm seeing the same set of events for failed plug-ins when restarting the Orion Module Engine, although not always do they all alert.

Not getting anywhere with my tech support case

Regards

David

Children
  • I am facing same issue after upgrading from 2018.4 HF6 to 2020.2.4. Initially after upgrading for some days backups were successful but suddenly since 20-Feb-2021 no backups through scheduled jobs are happening. Getting below error:

ERROR: Run job error: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/orion/dpe/businesslayer that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details

• Hi Team, I am having the same challenge with NCM current release 2020.2.5. (Plugin "NCM Inventory Business Layer Plugin" failed to start and Plugin "NCM Business Layer Plugin" failed to start) anyone with resolution fix?