NetFlowFastBitStringHeap Question

Hi, I have searched in Thwack and externally and I want some information on this SQL table.  If I truncate it what impacts will it have?  If truncated will new entries be recreated as DNS resolves?  What settings regulate the data that is entered into this table?  Mine has over 250 million rows.

Row Count - 271,306,067

Size - 16,024.367 MB

Index Space - 16,024.367 MB

Parents
  • Hi, table NetFlowFastBitStringHeap located in Orion DB (by default named SolarwindsOrion) was used in NTA versions from 4.0 to 4.2.3. Any NTA versioned with 4.4 or higher or any HCO version is using different table NetFlowStringHeap located in separate database by default named SolarWindsFlowStorage.

Let's assume you are running NTA 4.2.3 or older: By truncating the NetFlowFastBitStringHeap table you will loose access to all NetFlow Data prior to the truncate time. Starting again the FastBit Server (NTA Service) will initialize the table again and new data will appear.

If you are running newer version, then there was a bug in upgrade procedures that left this outdated table in DB. Upgrading to latest HCO version should remove this obsolete table. The issue was fixed in HCO 2023.1. Simply said, if you are running any NTA version newer than 4.4 or newer than you can safely truncate NetFlowFastBitStringHeap table.

The only way how to limit the size of those tables is to disable setting 'Resolve and store IPv4 hostnames immediately when a flow record is received' so no new records will be added to this table.

• Hi, table NetFlowFastBitStringHeap located in Orion DB (by default named SolarwindsOrion) was used in NTA versions from 4.0 to 4.2.3. Any NTA versioned with 4.4 or higher or any HCO version is using different table NetFlowStringHeap located in separate database by default named SolarWindsFlowStorage.

Let's assume you are running NTA 4.2.3 or older: By truncating the NetFlowFastBitStringHeap table you will loose access to all NetFlow Data prior to the truncate time. Starting again the FastBit Server (NTA Service) will initialize the table again and new data will appear.

If you are running newer version, then there was a bug in upgrade procedures that left this outdated table in DB. Upgrading to latest HCO version should remove this obsolete table. The issue was fixed in HCO 2023.1. Simply said, if you are running any NTA version newer than 4.4 or newer than you can safely truncate NetFlowFastBitStringHeap table.

The only way how to limit the size of those tables is to disable setting 'Resolve and store IPv4 hostnames immediately when a flow record is received' so no new records will be added to this table.

Children
No Data