This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Did you guys just turn off logs without LA?

Feature

Syslog/Trap Viewers (not available since 2022.x) SolarWinds Platform Log Viewer (Basic) Log Analyzer

Syslog/trap collection*

Windows event collection

Log files collection                                                                                                                                      
VMware event collection**

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/success_center/orionplatform/content/lm/lm-feature.htm

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/success_center/orionplatform/content/release_notes/solarwinds_platform_2022-2_release_notes.htm

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/success_center/orionplatform/content/release_notes/solarwinds_platform_2022-3_release_notes.htmLV 

Heeeeey what the heck? Am i misssing something or did LV just lose half it's features?

Is real-time-change detection no longer a feature of NCM?

Parents
  • Why do you think so? Syslog/Traps Viewers were the legacy applications (and services) which have been replaced by LV. Is there anything you're missing in LV and you used to have in legacy apps?

Maybe the confusion is that prior to 2022 releases it was possible to use the legacy syslogs/traps, but it's no longer possible. Including the Windows apps which were present in the system as read-only. There is no change to LV.

RTCD is still a feature of NCM and the out-of-the-box syslog rules are available in LV. They just get hidden and disabled if NCM is not present in the environment.

• Why do you think so? Syslog/Traps Viewers were the legacy applications (and services) which have been replaced by LV. Is there anything you're missing in LV and you used to have in legacy apps?

Maybe the confusion is that prior to 2022 releases it was possible to use the legacy syslogs/traps, but it's no longer possible. Including the Windows apps which were present in the system as read-only. There is no change to LV.

RTCD is still a feature of NCM and the out-of-the-box syslog rules are available in LV. They just get hidden and disabled if NCM is not present in the environment.

Children
  • Personally all of our log content stopped working, and support said we'd need the paid license. This has been mostly clarified as wrong but I've not got it to solution yet so could be wrong myself too.

The lm-feature doc reads as a big switch-off of features to me. Perhaps it's just in the windows-server-y space, Fingers crossed i'm just being spooked by the red.

• We never used / utilised the old trap viewer/manager but I distinctly recall seeing a post from someone that did use it and they were told:

"yup, we deprecated that and the replacement doesn't have all the features it had and oh, BTW, we want you to pay to access most of it now"

I recall thinking at the time it was either madness or a genius marketing approach.

• AFAIK the free version (Log Viewer) has always been a replacement of legacy syslogs/traps and all the features of legacy made it to Log Viewer. Almost. The paid version, Log Analyzer, adds only things which have never been in legacy. Almost.

These are the "almost exceptions":
    - licensing (it's not possible to receive syslogs/traps from nodes not added to Orion)
    - message tagging and colouring (available only in LA)
    - probably some tiny stuff I can't think of now

It is possible to use "free" LV only if you have other license containing syslogs/traps license, such as NPM or NCM. If you have LA + NPM and LA eval expires and NPM doesn't, you get LV. If you have only LA and its eval expires, nothing works. But this is the same as previously in legacy.

In the first LV/LA version there were some features missing, but they were added in the next versions and now there is almost nothing missing compared to legacy.

You guys are probably missing something or have obsolete info.

• You guys are probably missing something or have obsolete info.

You may be right that LV is now up to snuff - that's not what I was saying though.

AFAIK the free version (Log Viewer) has always been a replacement of legacy syslogs/traps

My post was 100% accurate for when they replaced it. Yes, they replaced it. Could it do ALL that trap viewer did - absolutely not because our SAN team had to find an alternative approach when trap viewer was killed off as this is what they were told.

• "It is possible to use "free" LV only if you have other license containing syslogs/traps license, such as NPM or NCM. If you have LA + NPM and LA eval expires and NPM doesn't, you get LV. If you have only LA and its eval expires, nothing works. "

The bolded is not my experience, and the italicized is