This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IP Address Conflict Alert - How to configure

Hi - I'm new to IPAM Module, i have a requirement to configure IP Address Conflict Alert for our environment  I see Out of Box alert but that's shows all IP's which is not working.

Anyone can provide me updated custom properties alert?

• Copy the out of the box alert and modify the copied version.

• I disabled mine. It's always reporting conflicts on legit IPs, never understood why but it also seems to have issues identifying IPS using HSRP.

• I too got the same the result. I have raised a case with SW, SW asked to check whether the IP's are having conflicts.

Any other conditions do i need to add or just leave with the out of box alerts?

• How does IPAM detect conflicts?

IPAM primarily looks for differences in MAC addresses, from two distinct simultaneous scans for a single IP Address, within a subnet.

Conflict Scenarios:

SNMP versus SNMP Neighbor: This type of conflict will occur when there is a difference in MAC addresses retrieved from the ARP table of the configured device and SNMP OIDs during the subnet scan for a particular IP Address.

SNMP versus DHCP: This type of conflict will occur when there is a difference in MAC fetched from SNMP OID and DHCP leases from DHCP Server, for a particular IP Address during a subnet scan.

SNMP Neighbor versus DHCP: This type of conflict will occur when there is a difference in MAC addresses retrieved from ARP table of the configured device and DHCP leases from DHCP Server, for a particular IP Address during subnet scan.

DHCP versus DHCP: A range of IP Addresses within a subnet may be managed by two DHCP servers. This type of conflict will occur when there is a difference in MAC addresses retrieved from two DHCP servers lease information for a particular IP Address during subnet scans.

DHCP versus DHCP (Scope Overlap): A range of IP Addresses under a subnet may be managed by two DHCP servers. There are cases wherein a part of an IP Address range under one DHCP server would be managed by another DHCP

server. In both instances, there is an overlap in scopes between two DHCP servers. This is considered a conflict

IPAM reservation versus SNMP/DHCP/SNMP neighbor: There are situations where you reserve an IP Address under a subnet in IPAM that contains a MAC address for an internal reference. This type of conflict will occur when there is a difference in MAC addressees from either SNMP OIDs, or DHCP leases, or neighbor devices with reserved MAC addresses in IPAM , for a particular IP Address during a subnet scan.

Note: l IP conflict occurs from a MAC comparison between snmp > ARP, snmp > snmp (rare), ARP > ARP, snmp > DHCP, ARP > DHCP. IPAM detects conflicts through the following:

- If there is no DHCP server in your environment that IPAM is scanning, then two machines need to both support SNMP polls so that IPAM

sees the MAC address on both devices.

- If IPAM, during a scan, discovers two machines MAC address with identical IP, IPAM generates an event noting this discovery. 

During subnet scans, MAC addresses obtained from SNMP, SNMP neighbor, and IPAM reservations are termed as Static entries and those obtained from DHCP servers are termed as Dynamic entries.