This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

EOC limitations

EOC is meant to provide comprehensive view of the instances in distributed deployment but it is a half developed product. 

It has various limitations that one must be aware off. 

Various limitations found: 

1. Top 10 Interfaces by Percent Utilization widget is missing, there will be other widgets missing but i have not fully explored yet 

2. Custom table resource does not have SQL option, only runs SWQL

3. Custom Resource to display radial gauge is missing 

4. No way to represent Universal Poller information in Radial or in custom resource.

5. Does not support JSON query 

6. Has limited options, other products can not be installed along with EOC

7. SAM components can not be represented on Dashboards 

Parents

•  wrote:

EOC is meant to provide comprehensive view of the instances in distributed deployment but it is a half developed product. 

It has various limitations that one must be aware off. 

Various limitations found: 

1. Top 10 Interfaces by Percent Utilization widget is missing, there will be other widgets missing but i have not fully explored yet 

2. Custom table resource does not have SQL option, only runs SWQL

3. Custom Resource to display radial gauge is missing 

4. No way to represent Universal Poller information in Radial or in custom resource.

- You are correct that EOC will have its limitations, as it is not meant to function as a standalone Orion Instance. However some limitations you mentioned above are inaccurate.

1) The Top 10 Interfaces by Percent Utilization can absolutely be reported in EOC. Not all native Top XX widgets are currently included oob but you do also have the option to use custom tables and some of these are built for you. Is there a reason this would not work in your case?

jblankjblank_0-1591634501471.png

2) Correct Custom table widgets do not have the ability to use SQL, and require SWQL. This is to prevent the need to directly query the database from EOC. In the past, we previously polled data from remote instances similar to polling a node for its information. However, this left EOC with stale data and unable to accurately reflect current status from your distributed deployment. This has changed by using federated SWIS (SolarWinds Information Service) queries to obtain that data on-demand.  This is described a bit here in a previous post: What is the Enterprise Operations Console and How Does it Work 2.0 - Please share additional feedback on your end goals and what you would like to accomplish. 

3) We do not have the ability to show off radial gauges. Are your looking to have a page of radial gauges? Would a Custom Table, Custom Chart, or Performance Analysis Project allow you to have more details on a page that is typically going to focus on more than a single entity? In those widgets you will have the option for a quick click to be directed to that entities detail page where you can access radial gauges.

4) Have you validated that you are unable to see custom node pollers in the same widgets I mentioned in the previous answer? There are in some cases data that must be federated in order to highlight that same info in EOC. This does take changes in code. It would be interesting again to hear more of what you are hoping to create or the types of dashboards that are critical for you within EOC.  

5) What are you looking to accomplish through the JSON query?

6) This statement is a bit confusing. Correct - EOC is meant to be installed as a standalone product and communicates to distributed instances. What other products were you looking to install alongside EOC and why?

7) What exactly are you looking to represent as far as SAM components? I was able to put together a quick Performance Analysis Project of some components without issue.

image.png

Perhaps you can share a bit more around what you are trying to accomplish. You are correct if you are looking for a mirror image of a distributed instance. That may not necessarily be possible from EOC. However most customers are using EOC to roll up status information for quick insight which allows them to drill down into the views and dashboards at the remote sites for further investigation.  With the latest release we have even packed in more options for you:  Enterprise Operations Console 2020.2 A New Identity 

With the increases in scale to 1 million elements, you may want to validate if EOC is the right solution for your deployment or perhaps a deployment consisting of a single Orion Instance and utilizing Additional Polling Engines may be more suitable to your needs.  Looking forward to hearing more details from you.  

• Thank you for taking time, I hope we can get to some resolution.
    Please find my comments below.

1) The Top 10 Interfaces by Percent Utilization can absolutely be reported in EOC.

[My Reply] Can you check it please, create a summary view and check if you can find the Top 10 interfaces widget ?
    I took you suggestion and created the desired widget using the custom table, not the same but we can survive.

Top 10 interface utilization EOC.jpg

2. Custom table resource does not have SQL option, only runs SWQL

[My Reply] I use SQL query to report on WAN link counts for each site when the link goes down, now i will have to recreate this in SWQL which is not going to be an easy task.
    Solarwinds is yet to come up with with proper representation of site links status such as WAN and route change, this would be a discussion for another day.

WAN link status SQL query.jpg

3. Custom Resource to display radial gauge is missing

[My Reply] Yup tried without Radial, can you see the difference ? missing the gauge meter readings and thresholds visuals effects.

Radial display Cirix sessions count.jpg

4. No way to represent Universal Poller information in Radial or in custom resource.

[My Reply] I am familiar with federated stuff, I like and support the idea of federated. Since "Custom resource widget" is missing there is a lot of stuff that can not be represented. I expect Solarwinds to have build and offered same widgets across all platforms. Infact EoC would have to carry more burden to have all resources available from all modules as it is "comprehensive view of the instances in distributed deployment "

[My Reply] Since radial dial is not available I started looking for solutions only to realize either the JSON query option is not available or it is not the same URL.

Json.jpg

[My Reply] Thanks for confirming EoC is a standalone product, otherwise I was prepared to purchase NPM and SAM to be installed alongside EoC for sake of sharing the resources - widgets.

[My Reply] I have already said, since "custom rescue" widget is missing there a lot that can not be represented the way they have been represented in other modules.

I have a Case # 00545860 opened for this, all above has been provided to support already.

Solarwinds is a powerful tool, it is able to collect the data, representing the data is a another challenge. So far Solarwinds has been built as an Engineer's tool, the current Dashboards would need to be enhanced to get popular with the management level.

• Thank you for taking time, I hope we can get to some resolution.
    Please find my comments below.

1) The Top 10 Interfaces by Percent Utilization can absolutely be reported in EOC.

[My Reply] Can you check it please, create a summary view and check if you can find the Top 10 interfaces widget ?
    I took you suggestion and created the desired widget using the custom table, not the same but we can survive.

Top 10 interface utilization EOC.jpg

2. Custom table resource does not have SQL option, only runs SWQL

[My Reply] I use SQL query to report on WAN link counts for each site when the link goes down, now i will have to recreate this in SWQL which is not going to be an easy task.
    Solarwinds is yet to come up with with proper representation of site links status such as WAN and route change, this would be a discussion for another day.

WAN link status SQL query.jpg

3. Custom Resource to display radial gauge is missing

[My Reply] Yup tried without Radial, can you see the difference ? missing the gauge meter readings and thresholds visuals effects.

Radial display Cirix sessions count.jpg

4. No way to represent Universal Poller information in Radial or in custom resource.

[My Reply] I am familiar with federated stuff, I like and support the idea of federated. Since "Custom resource widget" is missing there is a lot of stuff that can not be represented. I expect Solarwinds to have build and offered same widgets across all platforms. Infact EoC would have to carry more burden to have all resources available from all modules as it is "comprehensive view of the instances in distributed deployment "

[My Reply] Since radial dial is not available I started looking for solutions only to realize either the JSON query option is not available or it is not the same URL.

Json.jpg

[My Reply] Thanks for confirming EoC is a standalone product, otherwise I was prepared to purchase NPM and SAM to be installed alongside EoC for sake of sharing the resources - widgets.

[My Reply] I have already said, since "custom rescue" widget is missing there a lot that can not be represented the way they have been represented in other modules.

I have a Case # 00545860 opened for this, all above has been provided to support already.

Solarwinds is a powerful tool, it is able to collect the data, representing the data is a another challenge. So far Solarwinds has been built as an Engineer's tool, the current Dashboards would need to be enhanced to get popular with the management level.

Children
  • Huge disappointment with EoC Custom resource table with SWQL. I worked on WAN NOC query these are the results, it can not display icons and can not handle the query. 

EOC_custom_NOC_WAN.jpg

EoC query:

select distinct t2.NodeID, t2.caption as [Caption], ' /Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + t2.StatusLED + ' ' AS [_IconFor_Caption], t2.info as [Total Conn],

t2.OSPF as [OSPF Conn], t2.OSPFUpCount as [OSPF UP],
    case when t2.OSPFUpCount > 0 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Up.gif' else '' end as [_IconFor_OSPF UP] ,
    t2.OSPFNotUpCount as [OSPF Down] ,
    case when t2.OSPFNotUpCount > 0 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Down.gif' else '' end as [_IconFor_OSPF Down],

t2.BGP as [BGP Conn], t2.BGPUpCount as [BGP UP],
    case when t2.BGPUpCount > 0 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Up.gif' else '' end as [_IconFor_BGP UP] ,
    t2.BGPNotUpCount as [BGP Down] ,
    case when t2.BGPNotUpCount > 0 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Down.gif' else '' end as [_IconFor_BGP Down]
    FROM Orion.Routing.Neighbors (nolock=true) rn
    join (SELECT rn.NodeID, n.Caption, n.StatusLED, count (*) as [Info],
    sum (case when rn.ProtocolID = 13 then 1 else 0 end ) as [OSPF],
    sum (case when (rn.ProtocolID = 13 and rn.ProtocolOrionStatus = 1) then 1 else 0 end ) as [OSPFUpCount] ,
    sum (case when (rn.ProtocolID = 13 and rn.IsDeleted = 'True' ) then 1 else 0 end ) as [OSPFNotUpCount] ,
    sum (case when rn.ProtocolID = 14 then 1 else 0 end ) as [BGP],
    sum (case when (rn.ProtocolID = 14 and rn.ProtocolOrionStatus = 1) then 1 else 0 end ) as [BGPUpCount] ,
    sum (case when (rn.ProtocolID = 14 and rn.ProtocolOrionStatus <> 1) then 1 else 0 end ) as [BGPNotUpCount]
    FROM Orion.Routing.Neighbors (nolock=true) rn
    join Orion.Nodes (nolock=true) n on rn.NodeID = n.NodeID
    join Orion.NodesCustomProperties (nolock=true) ncp on rn.NodeID = ncp.NodeID
    where ncp.WAN_router = 1
    and n.InstanceSiteId IN(2)
    GROUP by rn.NodeID, n.Caption, n.StatusLED
    ) as t2 on rn.NodeID = t2.nodeid

ORDER by [_IconFor_Caption] ASC , [OSPF Down] DESC, [BGP Down] DESC