This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storage IO Monitoring

Hi Guys,

We would like to identify what are OTHER WAITS on Storage IO Monitoring.

Is there a way to list or identify them?

It must to be a reason to be listed: is it impacting the environment? Is there a way to reduce it? 

I think there is no sense it be showed just to tell it's not a storage IO issue.

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  •  

The Wait Time Chart is meant to serve as a guide, as described in the help file (located to the right of the chart):

Compare I/O wait time with all other wait time for the database instance. Use this to help you determine if the primary cause of wait time is I/O related:

• I/O could be the primary cause of wait time: If the I/O Wait portion of the bars is at least half the height of the Other Wait portion, then wait time problems could be I/O related. Drill into a specific timeframe to see more detail.
    • I/O not likely the primary cause of wait time: If the I/O Wait portion of the bars is less than half the height of the Other Wait portion, then wait time problems may not be I/O related.

HTH

Tom

• Thanks for replying, but, we'd like to know where this information which cannot be drilled down come from?

•  I think it is just math, but I am not certain. My understanding is that Storage I/O is tracking latency when it is exceeding a threshold. So, you could have busy disk, but if it never crosse a threshold then it doesn't get tagged as a storage wait event, and is just lumped into another bucket.

Storage I/O is not meant to be a diagnostic tool, it was built to offer a glimpse into the storage of a database and help the user to understand if they need to talk with the storage team or not. If you need deep diagnostic details form storage, then Storage Resource Monitor would be a better solution.

I see you asked for a feature request as well, I will bubble that up to the appropriate people here, as I agree we could offer more details in this area. HTH

•   I really appreciate your help on it! Happy New Year!

Reply Children
No Data