This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can I remove DameWare remotely? Or with a GPO?

FormerMember
FormerMember

We are migrating away from Dameware and I'm looking for a process that would help me uninstall the program either remotely or via GPO when a user logs in. Is there anything out there like this?

Thanks!

• I'm looking for a process that would help me uninstall the program either remotely or via GPO when a user logs in

Have you tried MSIEXEC /X {ProductID}

combine that with PSEXEC and you get remote capabilities

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to LGarvin

I haven't tried this method.

How would I go about getting the product ID?

• You can either extract it from the MSI directly, or search the registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstaller.

Detailed instructions for both of these methodologies are available from several sources via a web search.

If you have Patch Manager, you can also use the Computer Explorer -> Installed Software tool to just query for it.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to LGarvin

Thanks so much for providing that. I'm going to install Dameware on a test machine and just to run the uninstaller. My goal is to create a script when a user logs in, run the MSIEXEC /X {ProductID} command to remove.

• Here's a simple script to kill your installed product without using the SGUID, instead used the actual MSI file that was used to install the software.

The %MYDIR% tells the msiexec to use the current SOURCE LOCATION where the MSI file is located.

Start /wait is really not needed but if your script is used to uninstall and install a new version of software this is where you would tell the script remove the first installed program and wait until your done then start to install the new software

@echo off

::

SET MYDIR=%~dp0

:: REMOVE OLDER VERSION OF SOFTWARE

start /wait msiexec /x "%mydir%DRS10x.msi" /qb

:: start to install the new version of the software when you done removing the old copy.

start /wait msiexec /x "%mydir%THE_NEW_VERSION.msi" /qb APPDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\DameWare Remote Support\" reboot=reallysuppress SILENT=yes SA_KEY=XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX  SA_EMAIL=YOU-EMAIL@BLABLA.COM

:end script.