Finally managing to sink my teeth into SAM 5.0 and have now been using it for the past week or so. Have to say I'm impressed with what I'm seeing - in particular the hardware health monitoring is a big enhancement for us. I do, however, have a few comments on areas I'd like to see enhanced, and a couple of possible bugs. Apologies if they're covered elsewhere in earlier posts!
1. I created a new Monitor to check for services that are required as part of our LANDesk patch management software. One of the things that initially caught me out was that I didn't change the name of each component, so all my monitors showed up with the same name of "Windows Service Monitor". To change this name I see you have to click on the "Rename" button. Would it be possible to have the ability to change the component name from the expanded component details?
2. I am monitoring HP servers (DL380 of various generations). Before SAM I was monitoring hardware health using UnDP and one of the things I was monitoring was the health of the PSUs rather than the power draw. Would it be possible to add this as a part of the HP health status since it is probably more relevant that the power draw. The OID I was using was 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2.9.3 which returns a table with the status of each PSU.
3. One of my servers appears to have a couple of broken sensors. I am seeing a power draw of 4194572 Watts and CPU temperature of 255degC! i assume that these are failure values that HP use, particularly given they are the maximum vaules that a binary value of a certain number of bits can hold. However, SolarWinds is seeing the power consumption as "OK" and the temperatures as "Degraded". I'm not sure how feasible it would be to have a new status of "Sensor error?" in this sort of situation.
4. Before I assign nodes to an application template I sometimes want to check what components are covered before the assignment. Assuming I make no changes, it would be helpful if there were a link on the "Edit Application Template" page straight to the assignment of that template to nodes. I know this may cause confusion if someone makes changes on the page and doesn't save them before going to that link, but I'm sure a quick line of text of popup as a warning would suffice!?!
5. I've noticed that on the Node Details page the controls for the graphs for power consumption and temperature are a little broken:
Also, those controls vanish altogether on the Temperature graph!
6. Some of our servers don't have all the memory slots in use. The feedback from SIM seems to put these slots in the "Other" state, which shows as a problem in some views. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to change this, but it would be helpful if unused slots could be marked as such with an associated "Up" status.
7. Is there any way to have the HP SIM version installed on a server displayed in the "Hardware Details" box?
8. Is there any way to have SolarWinds push the HP SIM agents to a server?
9. In my Active Alerts view I am only shown the component that has gone down, e.g. "Disk 0". This isn't helpful as i don't know what server this relates to. Is there any way to change the hardware health alert such that it also shows the server name, e.g". "Disk 0 on EMAIL_SERVER"
Sorry there's a lot there, but hopefully some of this might be possible for a future update to SAM and of interest to other users.