3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2018 6:03 AM by abdulraheemsidz

    WMI query fails due to bad reverse lookup

    mdriskell

      Since I couldn't find an answer in the forums and had to track down an issue I figured I would share my findings.

      WMI queries to a particular server were failing and I couldn't get them to work. The only message the tests from APM provided were Unable to connect to "x.x.x.x" for WMI access.

       I opened up wmimgmt.msc on my SolarWinds server and was able to connect to the failed server in question so I coudn't figure out why it wasn't working.  I'm not sure what led me down this path but I did a reverse lookup on the IP address and found it didn't match the name of the server in question and in fact was a completely different machine to begin with.  I then tried the same test from wmimgmt.msc to the IP address and not the name and it failed.  

      After some internet research I found that by default a WMI query to an IP address (the manner in which APM sends) automatically does a reverse lookup and if it gets a successful answer back sends the query to the name it received from its lookup which in my case was the wrong server.  As I understand it had the reverse lookup not returned a result the query would have gone to the original destination of the IP address.

      Sure this is just another reason in a very very long list of reasons to keep your DNS entries clean and up to date but this one took me about a day and a half to figure out...Now I'm waiting on my support team to remove the invalid entry from DNS.

      Like I said I scanned these forums for this particular issue and couldn't find any other threads referencing this problem so figured I would share.