13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 10:06 AM by ido.networkstuff

Alert inventory report question

st.crispan

I'm trying to sort my alerts by department, then by node, then by alerts associated to the node...and I don't mean the alerts that are currently active, I mean alerts which are enabled per node.  So far I've got an SQL query which works somewhat, but is incomplete.  I can't figure out why some alerts are reported correctly (per node) but others are simply omitted.

Here is the SQL code I've got so far:

SELECT 
             AlertConfigurations.Name AS 'ALERT' 
             ,AlertObjects.EntityCaption AS 'ALERT OBJECT' 
             ,AlertObjects.RelatedNodeCaption AS 'RELATED NODE' 
             ,AlertConfigurationsCustomProperties.Alert_Type AS 'ALERT TYPE'
             ,NodesCustomProperties.Department AS 'DEPARTMENT'

FROM AlertObjects  
             JOIN AlertConfigurations ON AlertConfigurations.AlertID = AlertObjects.AlertID 
             JOIN AlertConfigurationsCustomProperties ON AlertConfigurationsCustomProperties.AlertID = AlertObjects.AlertID
             JOIN NodesData ON NodesData.Caption = AlertObjects.RelatedNodeCaption
             JOIN NodesCustomProperties ON NodesCustomProperties.NodeID = NodesData.NodeID

WHERE AlertConfigurations.Enabled = 1 

ORDER BY AlertConfigurations.Name, AlertObjects.EntityCaption 

• Re: Alert inventory report question
          borgan

Great question. Anyone?

st.crispan

Thanks for the bump, borgan.

This is going to be a serious challenge for those who are SQL masters...

mferrucci

Hey guys, I'm looking for the same thing. I need to collect the trigger actions for each alert (over 300).  It would be useful to have an alert inventory report which displays all details of every alert configured.

ido.networkstuff

Was surprised to find that this info wasn't already a report we could run, unless I missed it

Took me a bit as I only know some basics, but this SWQL query got me what I needed. 

I only wanted to see enabled alerts and their e-mail trigger actions so change the WHERE clause as needed.

SELECT ac.AlertID, ac.Name, ac.Description, ac.Enabled, ac.Severity, ac.CreatedBy, ap.ActionID, ac.AlertMessage, a.Title, a.Description, ap.PropertyName, ap.PropertyValue

FROM Orion.ActionsProperties ap

LEFT JOIN Orion.ActionsAssignments aa ON ap.ActionID = aa.ActionID

LEFT JOIN Orion.Actions a ON a.ActionID = ap.ActionID

LEFT JOIN Orion.AlertConfigurations ac ON aa.ParentID = ac.AlertID

WHERE ac.Enabled='True' AND a.ActionTypeID='Email'

ido.networkstuff

quick update to add trigger condition of the alert

SELECT ac.AlertID, ac.Name, ac.Description, ac.Enabled, ac.Severity, ac.CreatedBy, ad.TriggerQuery, ap.ActionID, ac.AlertMessage, a.Title, a.Description, ap.PropertyName, ap.PropertyValue

FROM Orion.ActionsProperties ap

LEFT JOIN Orion.ActionsAssignments aa ON ap.ActionID = aa.ActionID

LEFT JOIN Orion.Actions a ON a.ActionID = ap.ActionID

LEFT JOIN Orion.AlertConfigurations ac ON aa.ParentID = ac.AlertID

LEFT JOIN Orion.AlertDefinitions ad ON ad.AlertDefID = ac.AlertRefID

WHERE ac.Enabled='True' AND a.ActionTypeID='Email'

ido.networkstuff

Yup it's working for me.

I think you need an 's' after 'Action', so should be Orion.ActionsProperties

st.crispan

Not really where I was going...but I'm having trouble describing it.

I don't think that the ActionID or AlertID fields correspond.  

st.crispan

I'd like a report to look like this:

Alerts by Department, by Alert Type, by Node, by Action

Department - MAINFRAME

Alert Type: AVAILABILITY ALERTS  - NODE DOWN

Node name: AIXBOX1                              

Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Action: EMAIL                           To: Helpdesk

Action: SYSLOG                        

Node name: AIXBOX2                              

Node name: AIXBOX3                              

Node name: AIXBOX4                              

Alert Type: AVAILABILITY ALERTS  - APPLICATION DOWN

Node name: AIXBOX1               Application name: PRINTER QUEUE          

Node name: AIXBOX2               Application name: PRINTER QUEUE          

Alert Type: PERFORMANCE ALERTS - Disk less than 5% remaining

Volume: /                                 Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Action: Syslog                          

Volume: /VAR                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /OPT                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /APP                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /STG                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /                                 Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /VAR                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /OPT                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /APP                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Volume: /STG                           Action: EMAIL                           To: MAINFRAME DEPARTMENT

Alert Type: PERFORMANCE ALERTS - High CPU Utilization

Node name: AIXBOX3              

Node name: AIXBOX4              

The fields which contain the sort are in:

Department - NodesCustomProperties.Department     ---- This contains the Department "MAINFRAME", also the other departments I want to sort on.

Alert type - AlertConfigurationsCustomProperties.Alert_Type   ---- This contains the field which identifies alerts as "Performance" or "Availability" ...I'd like to create one report per Department, and then sort all the alerts that department can get by "Availability" or by "Performance".   The report above is just an example of how I'd like it to look.

njoylif

I *BELIEVE* alertObjects only gets populated after an instance of an alert has triggered, thus, if a specific alert has yet to trigger for a node, it will not show up based on your query.

I also *Think* the new beta 12.0 has a resource that tells you for a given node what alerts it is eligible to trigger...but verify that one.