9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 5:42 AM by fiala

How to find ports which have not been used for a long time ?

fiala

We have a shortage of switch ports, so we would like to find out which ports were inactive during a given period (in DOWN state), e.g. from 2 months ago until today. Is there an easy method how to answer this question?

Regards,

Tomas

• Re: How to find ports which have not been used for a long time ?
          sans

Yes there is. Create a report and use this:

1. Resource: Custom Table(Reporting)

2. Select objects you are going to report on...

interfaces down.JPG

The 2880 is 2 days. for the last 2 months, use 86400

For the table, you could use soemthing like this:

interfaces down2.JPG

You can change this on what you want shown.

fiala

Dear Sans.

Thanks for your prompt answer. It seems to be very promising, but a little bit too brief for me as I am rather unexperienced. If you could describe the procedure more in detail (step by step) I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Tomas Fiala

sans

Download this. Switch+ports+down+longer+than+2+months.xml

Go to Settings (top right corner), Alerts & Reports >> Manage Reports, then Select Export/Import and Import this report in.

jlinkowsky

@sans - I am unable to download the XML file that you posted.  Saying "unauthorized".  Not sure if it's just me, or others having the same issue.

John L.

fiala

@sans Thanks again. I have successfully downloaded and launched your script and as result obtained "No activity to report". It's undoubtedly because I don't know how to create the report needed. I did't confess it explicitly in my first response but it's the sad reality. My request on "step by step" description related also to the very first line of your first answer "Create a report and use this:"

Regards,

Tomas Fiala

brandon.blaze

I'll go step by step to get you into the part to import a report.  I apologize if any of this is rudimentary, but I'll assume you're a new user and will go all the way from the beginning.

1) Log into SolarWinds NPM using an account that has report management rights granted.

2) From the "Home" tool bar across the top, click on the "Reports" option.

3) In the top right of the Reports page, click "Manage Reports"

4) Click on the "Export/Import" button from the top of the reports list and choose "Import".  (Looks like a piece of paper with blue/green arrows)

5) Select the .XML file that was provided by Sans that you downloaded onto your computer/NPM server.

6) In the left pane of the Reports screen, Sort the results by "Report Category" from the drop down list.

7) Choose the category labeled "001-ThwackCustom".

8) Select the report and click the "Edit Report" button.

9) Click the "Add Content" button

10) Choose "Custom Tables" from the only two options available.

11) Choose "Create New Object Selection"

12) Then use the screenshot Sans provided above to fill in the rest.  Needs to look identical to what he put on there to get any results (using the 86400 minutes number for duration which will be two months back)

13) Save the report.

14) Run the report.

15) Show off your mad reporting skills to your coworkers and bosses.

16) Get a raise.

17) Become the boss.

18) Pay it forward.

I hope that helps you out.  Sorry for the lack of screenshots, but I tried to make it as easy as possible.  If you need screenshots, just ask; but you should be able to get by with the text alone.

-Brandon

fiala

Many thanks indeed for all.

I've obtainded the list of ports but something seems to be still wrong. The most of ports listed are trunks which are continuously ON. It could refere to a reversed condition but at least one port (Ge0/17) is presently down and definitely has been randomly ON and OFF in the past, see the excerpt below:

Custom Table for Datasource 1                     

Ordered by:Node Name - Ascending                       

Interface Name       Node Name     Notice               

Port-channel1        D01R02-sw03   Po1       IBM-SW34#1,2:23 Po connected               

Port-channel2        D01R02-sw03   Po2       D01R02-sw05#49,50  connected               

Port-channel5        D01R02-sw03   Po5       D01R02-sw02#49,50  connected               

GigabitEthernet0/17  D01R02-sw03   Gi0/17    227D OF116 VTC-ELI notconnect ???

GigabitEthernet0/19  D01R02-sw03   Gi0/19    D01R02-sw05#49     connected               

GigabitEthernet0/20  D01R02-sw03   Gi0/20    D01R02-sw05#50     connected               

…                       

Could anybody test the procedure and let me know where I should look for a flaw?

Regards,

Tomas