This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Grouping vSphere objects for custom alerting

We're just deploying Virtual Manager and integrating with SAM (Orion).  We have Production and Development VMs.  We'd like to set up different alerts between the two.  Is there a way to group the objects, preferably by VMware Cluster?

• Hello,

in VMAN it's quite easy. In each alert just define Cluster Name, i.e.:
    Alert1 - find out all VMs with CPU load higher than 90% running under "Cluster Dev" cluster:

Search query: vm.cpuload.latest:[90 TO *] AND vm.cluster.name:"Cluster Dev"

Alert2 - find out all Hosts under "Cluster Prod" cluster with high write latency (last hour average):

Search query: host.writeLatency.hour:[10 TO *] host.cluster.name:"Cluster Prod"

pastedImage_4.png

More info about Search and Alerts.

Or do you mean alert definition in Orion?

• Thanks, but I think I'm looking more to do something like this...

"For all Production systems, alert 24x7"

"For all Dev systems, DO NOT alert between midnight-6am"

So how can I group systems together in vman and orion? 

• In VMAN it's not so easy to skip alerting after business hours / workdays. But it's possible.You can get inspired by this Thwack post. So you can combine the 2nd xPath with something like 'if(/virtualMachine/cluster/name="Dev Cluster") then ...'.

In Orion the alerting is much more complex with moany options, including scheduling alerts in defined time slot (Time of Day tab).