This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Some Network Objects not seen in Trap Receiver

Hi All,

We have a Solarwinds NPM that is in the process of setting up. We are migrating from another monitoring tool. We use SNMPv3.

The issue is that some of the network objects are not seen in  SNMP Trap viewer. I checked the Node config, all the network nodes, including the one that is not showing up are set to be managed by both SNMP and also ICMP.

I can see the node (that is not showing up in the SNMP Trap viewer) in the syslog viewer just fine.

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks,

Vidhya

• First thing I'd check is the device configuration, and confirm that it is configured to send out SNMP traps to the IP address of your SolarWInds poller. Also, check that you are receiving SNMP data from them (by clicking on the CPU resource, for example, and confirming that data is being polled correctly).

Let us know how you get on!

• Thanks Siverback. I have compared the config of the device that works and the device that does not work. I dont find any major difference. I can see this same network object in the syslog categorybut not in the traps category.

The switch stack is configured to be polled by both icmp and snmp.

When I do debug, I can see SNMP traps being sent by the switch stack.

When I go to node details summary, the IOS version is listed wrong, the CPU that is shown is not realistic for this switch stack.

Any thoughts?

• Make sure the IP Address sending the Traps is the same IP being managed in NPM. Also make sure that the same SNMPv3 details are defined under Manage Nodes to ensure that the Trap service can decrypt the message.

This document on Page 5 includes where to check the SNMP Trap logs and identify the error the Trap messages are returning. Configuring SNMPv2 and SNMPv3 for Solarwinds Products