7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 7:02 PM by g.salamat

Custom Bandwidth: Crops the exceeding bandwidth utilization in the graph

blueone93

Hi Team,

Please advise.

I have this NPM 10.7 version and and I've encountered an issue with graphing GigEthernet interfaces. Originally, the bandwidth was set to 4Mbps, if I set the bandwidth manually by checking the custom bandwidth and set it to 1Mbps on a GigEthernet port it will stop graphing anything above1Mbps. The reason why I change the bandwidth to 1Mbps is to test if it will display the bandwidth exceeding its limit in the graph but unfortunately it crops the exceeding bandwidth utilization in the graph.    Please see the attachment below.

1.png\                                                                                                                                                                                                         

My concern is why it crops the data when it reaches the set bandwidth?                                                                                                                                                                      

• Re: Custom Bandwidth: Crops the exceeding bandwidth utilization in the graph
          superfly99

I think it may be an issue with NPM 10.7. See at the bottom of this post (Bandwithd Diferenciation), Manilyn is also on 10.7 and reports the same behaviour as you've found.

I'm on 11.0.1 and I changed a 2mb link in Solarwinds to 1mb. Now my utilisation is hitting 200% (as expected) but my Min/Max/Average BPS is still graphing to 2Mbps (also as expected).

userunnown

I'd like to hop onto this thread as I am having the same issue on NPM 11.5.2. We have an internet line that we are paying for 10 Mbps, however we burst. We know we burst, but the graphs stop at whatever I set the custom bandwidth to.  We have the custom bandwidth set to 10Mbps so that we know what percentage we are using, but it makes it impossible to determine how much we are actually using. Our much older version of Orion would show us a graph with utilization over 100% and we need this back, it is very frustrating to have this reporting as it does.

janene16

Try this. Login to your Orion server and look for C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces\SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config

-   Make a backup copy (paste it somewhere else ie. Desktop)

-   edit C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces\SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config

then find <add key="ValidateCounters" value="True" /> and change it to <add key="ValidateCounters" value="False" />

-   Restart SolarWinds services (All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager)

-  click on Shutdown Everything and wait for all services to stop

-  click on Start Everything and wait until all services are in running state

However, please note that this is introduced to resolve the possible issue that you may see strange high percentage use. And as for the chart you can go into the Custom Bandwidth to set and the graph are able to plot more than that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    g.salamat

Hi,

I've already raised a ticket regarding this issue. As per Solarwinds support, this is related to the feature implemented in NPM 10.6 - when the polled traffic is over 100% of utilization they discard polled values and do a fast poll. It means you will never see values higher than bandwidth. You may change the

"SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config" by following the steps below.

janene16 wrote:

Try this. Login to your Orion server and look for C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces\SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config

-   Make a backup copy (paste it somewhere else ie. Desktop)

-   edit C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces\SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config

then find <add key="ValidateCounters" value="True" /> and change it to <add key="ValidateCounters" value="False" />

-   Restart SolarWinds services (All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager)

-  click on Shutdown Everything and wait for all services to stop

-  click on Start Everything and wait until all services are in running state

However, please note that this is introduced to resolve the possible issue that you may see strange high percentage use. And as for the chart you can go into the Custom Bandwidth to set and the graph are able to plot more than that.

3 of 3 people found this helpful