This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Event 1501, SNMP. The SNMP Service encountered an error while setting up the incoming transports.\n The IP transport has been dropped out.

Hi,

I have 24 desktop computers running windows 7, 3 servers running windows Server 2008 STD and 15 servers running windows Server 2008 R2 STD. All of them have the same problems with SNMP service.  I am using Solarwinds NPM with SNMP polling. All of these computers stop responding to SNMP GET messages after a while, this can be hours or days eventually SNMP will stop responding. The only way to fix this is to restart SNMP service or restart computer. I have looked at windows system logs and see the same message on all of my computers : Event 1501, SNMP. The SNMP Service encountered an error while setting up the incoming transports.\n The IP transport has been dropped out. I have googled this type of problem, there was a bug in Vista and 2008 server with the same Event ID. KB967800 article is explaining the same symptoms what I am having. Unfortunately I can't apply that hotfix to my computers because I am running different OS versions.

Last week I have changed polling from 2 min to 10 hoping that windows will be able cope with amount of SNMP request but I am still having the same issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2 computers seem to be more sensitive on this problem, they stop earlier than windows 7.

Any suggestions?