This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert show wrong hostname - after hostname is changed - BUG

If one node gets an alert, later on changes hostname, then gets another alert. The first name is shown on all alert-pages.

Why (I think): Because the db-value [orionDB].[dbo].[AlertObjects].[EntityCaption] (and potentially [RelatedNodeCaption]) is not updated when the nodes caption is changed.

Caption should not be stored in more then one place as it created these kind of mismatches.

Am I right?

• Hi Seashore‌.

When you renamed the device, did you also rename the device in NPM? If not, the alerts will continue to use the old hostname, as Orion uses the IP address of the node as it's unique identifier (for discovery purposes), and not the hostname itself.

• Yes, the node is renamed in NPM. Looking at the node-page shows the correct caption. Only Alert-pages show wrong caption.

• Ok. did the alert in question occur after the node was renamed, or is this an old alert, which is still visible in the console? If the alert was triggered previously, it's likely the alerts table had the old hostname populated. If it is a brand new alert, triggered after the node was renamed, then you may have uncovered a bug! In this case, I would log a support call with SolarWinds to get this confirmed. If you do, could you post in this thread what the outcome of the support call is please, so others (including myself!) can learn from this emoticons_happy.png

• Can you please post up the email part of your alert? I'd like to see how you're calling the node details.

Also if you rename a Cisco device, NPM will automatically update the name once the device is repolled. I'm not sure though if your device is a Cisco as you've not specified.

• It was a new alert, on a node that before it was renamed (both in windows and Orion caption feild) has an alert.

If you look in you database table [AlertObjects], how many rows do you have? In this installation I have about a thousand rows and maybe 15 active alerts. Meaning it picks alertobjects from this table and reuses that data for new alerts on the same nodeID. Node ID is the same but possible not the other feilds like caption.

Have you more rows in AlertObjects then you probably have the same sitiuation? Should that table be cleaned up?

• The node details are not from an email alert action. It's on the "All alert" page AND "alert details" page. The node page shows correct info.

Why?

Because

"All alerts" page gets data from AlertObjects-table

"node details" page gets data from node-view (or the new tables)

This was a windows node but NPM does not change the caption feild after a rediscover. Other fields like dns-name might change though.

• I have around 590 records in my AlertObjects table. What you are proposing, that the system does not go an fetch the current node information when a new alert is triggered, it simply looks up the AlertObject table for something referring to the same NodeID, and uses the same caption in any new alerts, may well be correct. Hopefully they'll get back to you your support ticket shortly, so you can update us all emoticons_happy.png

• Exactly Silverbacksays! I'll update when I got more info from support.

• Hi Seashore‌!
       Could you possibly grab some diagnostics for us, to speed up support's investigation of the issue?  Directions below - reply to the case e-mail you got to let them know they are there once you've uploaded them.  Thanks!

Go to Start-> Programs -> SolarWinds Orion -> Documentation and Support -> Orion diagnostics (On Windows 2012 just type "diagnostics" into the search)

When the wizard pops up click "Start" (don't click Active Diagnostics)

This will create a .zip file that you can upload on our leapfile site.  Once the file is created:

Go to http://solarwinds.leapfile.com and click on Secure Upload

Use support@solarwinds.net as the receiver address

Fill out the form (for subject line use the case number)

Support will grab them and we'll take a look at what might be causing this.  Thanks!