9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 10:48 AM by locpham

Moving SolarWinds Database

locpham

Hi,

I successfully moved the SolarWinds database(SolarWindsOrion) from a local SolarWinds server to a separated\dedicated SQL server by followed the "Migrating SolarWinds NMP Technical Reference" document. As far as I know everything works.

When I tried to stop the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service on the local server (Don't need it anymore, database has moved), it shows about 18 services still depend on this local SQL server service. They are such as SolarWinds Alerting Engine, SolarWinds Alerting Service V2, SolarWinds Collector Data Processor.......SolarWinds Syslog Service, SolariInds Trap Service...

How do I remove the dependencies so I can stop the local SQL server service?  As now I separated the front end Web running NMP and SAM and the back end SQL server storing the database. The only thing changed was the database server everything stayed intact. Originally one server ran both SolarWinds (NMP and SAM) and SQL server.

Thank you,

Loc

• Re: Moving SolarWinds Database
          neomatrix1217

Did you stop services when you moved your database?

Did you run the configuration wizard on the NPM server and point it to the new database?

locpham

Yes, absolutely I stopped all services, ran the configuration Wizard pointing to the new database. No errors. Restarted all services and also rebooted the server.

I verified from the NMP console "Settings\Database\Database Details", the new database is connected and running.

Loc

locpham

neomatrix1217,

Thank you for your reply. After I investigate the solutions (links you posted), I decided to call Tech Support. I thought there should be an easier way to remove the dependency then manually removing them individually. In the Configuration Wizard, there is an option to repair “services”. It lists all the SolarWinds services. I actually opened it but stopped from going any further. I needed to resolve this issue quickly so I called. My next step is to upgrade the OS.

The tech support a bit abrasive but basically said the same thing, manually remove the dependency from each SolarWinds service. Bottom line, I successfully removed the dependency manual with the “sc.exe  config” command. SolarWinds could have include this step in their document of how to move the database.

This is my notes (Hope to help someone along the way with the same issue):  I don’t have SQL Express on the local server.  I have SQL server 2008 R2 on both local and dedicated SQL server. When the tech support checked the registry, there was no dependency in any registry key of the SolarWinds services.

I used the command “sc qc” to list the dependencies. It lists the actual name of the service not the display name. Most the SolarWinds services depend on more than one service. To keep other dependencies, type the name of the service to keep and leave out the MSSQLSERVER. The parameter  Depend=”” removes every dependency.

neomatrix1217, my next small question is in my excitement I removed all dependencies of the SolarWindsAlertingEngine, SolarWindsAlertingServiceV2 and SWCollectorDataProcessorSvc service. Do you know what services these SolarWinds services depend on?  So I can put them back.

Thank You,

Loc

neomatrix1217

SolarWinds Alerting Engine  [SQL Server (Solarwinds_Orion)

SolarWindsAlertingServiceV2 [Same as above and Net.Tcp Port Sharing]

SWCollectorDataProcessorSvc [Same two as above and Message Queuing)

locpham

neomatrix1217,

What is the actual name of SQL Server (Solarwinds_Orion)?

I know that (I took note):

The Net.Tcp Port Sharing actual name is NetTcpPortSharing

The Message Queuing actual name is MSMQ

If you run the command below, it lists all dependencies in actual name not the display name.

sc qc SolarWinds Alerting Engine

Thank you much,

Loc

locpham

neomatrix1217,

You posted: the SolarWinds Alerting Engine service depends on SQL Server (Solarwinds_Orion).

Not sure what "Solarwinds_Orion" is.

I ran the sc command to add SQL Server (Solarwinds_Orion) as a dependency service of SolarWinds Alerting Engine with command:

sc config "SolarWindsAlertingEngine" depend= SQLServer(Solarwinds_Orion)

The command ran with no error. When check the properties of SolarWinds Alerting Engine, it shows no dependent service. But the "sc qc" lists SQL Server (Solarwinds_Orion) as a dependency. Not sure if this is correct or not.

My earlier reply has a syntax error, it should be:

sc qc SolarWindsAlertingEngine

No space between "SolarWinds Alerting Engine" service name to run the command correctly.

Thank you,

Loc