This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Bulk export/import WPM recordings?

Is there any way to do this? We are breaking out WPM instance into a separate Orion instance because we are looking at deploying a very large amount of WPM transactions over the next few months. Currently we have about 80 - 100 transactions that we need to migrate from the old WPM instance to the new one but it looks like the export button only works with a single recording. I have been looking at the database and there are a couple of tables involved for WPM so I might be able to script out a SQL export and import but if there is a cleaner way to do this I'd prefer to not reinvent the wheel.

Any ideas on this.

Thanks

-Jim

• Hello Jim,

bulk export is unfortunately not supported. Going through direct SQL export is tricky - if you have any password stored in the recording (any login page etc.) then it's encrypted. Moving this data to a different Orion instance makes it unreadable to the new instance.

Best way would be to script it through web API. Recording can be exported via URL:
    http://<ORION_IP_OR_HOSTNAME>/Orion/SEUM/Admin/RecordingExporter.ashx?recordingId=<RECORDING_ID>&AccountID=<ORION_ADMIN_USERNAME>&password=<ORION_ADMIN_PASSWORD>

Passing AccountID and Password in URL allows to invoke API without really logging-in so you can use it from a script. RecordingId is a number that you can find in SEUM_Recording table in RecordingId column.

Importing recording can be done via API on URL:

http://<ORION_IP_OR_HOSTNAME>/Orion/SEUM/Admin/RecordingImporter.ashx?AccountID=<ORION_ADMIN_USERNAME>&password=<ORION_ADMIN_PASSWORD>

This time it expects recording file in POST request as if it's sent from HTML form with name "recordingFile". In addition it expects recording name in "recordingName" field. Following HTML form would do the trick:

<form action="...URL..." method="post">

<input name="recordingFile" type="file" />

<input name="recordingName" type="text" />

</form>

• jiri.tomek‌‌‌, are the passwords encrypted using the SolarWinds-Orion certificate? If that's the case, hypothetically, you could export the cert and install it on the new instance right?

• That is right, migrating certificate to the new instance would solve the encryption problem.

• Was there an answer logged for this question? I may need follow the same steps in the months ahead.

• Jiri's answer is the best I have come up with so far but it only imports a recording, it doesn't setup a monitor using the recording, you still need to do that manually. I don't think the API has a lot of controls for WPM so it is very limited in what you can do.

-Jim

• Good idea from Jiri.

I will try to develop some easy unoficial app which will do this more automatically. I am thinking that I can easily do the export part and I am thinking that import part can be done using WPM recorder itself, it will take some recordings file, username and password as inputs and it will generate different recording file, and only action needed will be to play that recording file. But no promises emoticons_happy.png

• How do you go about migrating the certificate from one instance to another???

• Instructions assume that the your new SolarWinds Orion instance is all ready installed. If you entered any credentials in the new instance, they will need to be re-entered after you migrate the cert.

Make sure you take whatever steps to ensure you can revert this if it goes horribly wrong.

1. On the old SolarWinds Orion instance, open MMC and add the Certificates snap-in
    2. Navigate to the Certificates (Local Computer)\Personal\Certificates store.
    3. Right-click "SolarWinds-Orion" certificate, select All Tasks > Export.
    4. At the "Do you want to export the private key with the certificate?" prompt, select Yes, export the private key.
    5. Save the certificate file with a password (.pfx).
    6. On the new SolarWinds Orion instance, open MMC and add the Certificates snap-in.
    7. Navigate to the Certificates (Local Computer)\Personal\Certificates store.
    8. Delete the "SolarWinds-Orion" certificate
    9. Transfer the .pfx file to the new SolarWinds Orion instance.
    10. Right-click on the "Certificates (Local Computer)\Personal\Certificates" store and select All Tasks > Import.
    11. Select the .pfx file, enter the password, and if desired enable Mark this key as exportable.
    12. Execute the following query against your Orion database for the new instance:

UPDATE ServerCertificates SET Replaced=GETUTCDATE() WHERE Replaced IS NULL

13. Run the Configuration Wizard.
  • I already have the export part done - below is the excerpt from the Powershell script I use to export recordings...

$wpmServer = Server name/ip of the WPM polling engine.

$RecordingId = Recording id of the recording to export.  This can be pulled through an easy SWQL query.

$username = User that has permissions to export recordings.

$password = Password of the above user that can export recordings.

$Name = Name of the recording - also pulled from an easy SWQL query.

# Get recording

$recOutput = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "http://$wpmServer/Orion/SEUM/Admin/RecordingExporter.ashx?action=export&recordingId=$($RecordingId)&AccountID=$username&password=$password" -outFile "$outputDir\\$($Name).recording"