9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 9:07 AM by knowram

L3 Netflow from Nexus

knowram

I am trying to get Layer 3 netflow working from a nexus 7706 running 6.2(10). I have tried using version 9, specifying a source interface, and creating a custom flow recorder and nothing seems to work. My configurations are as follows Thank you.

flow timeout active 60

flow exporter Netflow-Exporter-Prod

description Production-Netflow-Exporter

destination {NTA IP Address}

transport udp 2055

version 5

ip sla responder

sampler NF-Sampler-Prod

description Netflow-Prod-Sampler

mode 1 out-of 1000

flow monitor Netflow-Monitor-Prod

description Use Predefined "Original-Netflow-Record"

record netflow-original

exporter Netflow-Exporter-Prod

interface Vlan918

ip flow monitor Netflow-Monitor-Prod input sampler NF-Sampler-Prod

ip address IP Address/30

ip directed-broadcast WOL

ip ospf authentication message-digest

ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 7 03405803565F0D

ip router ospf 1 area 0.0.0.100

ip pim sparse-mode

description AS-P2P to CC106-MDF-sw01

no shutdown

• Re: L3 Netflow from Nexus
          Craig Norborg

Try setting the flow-source in your "flow exporter" record.   This interfaces IP address should be the same as what you have in NPM for managing the device.

There is a Nexus 7000 section in this document also...

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/NetFlow/docs/NetFlowDeviceConfiguration.pdf

knowram

Craig,

Thanks for the info using I was sure I tried that however NTM now seems to be receiving netflow info however I am getting the following error receiving flow data from unmanaged interface '#160'

Do you have any ideas on that one? When I view the inventory of the nexus the vlan interfaces are listed and I also getting this error for more interfaces then I have enabled netflow on.

Craig Norborg

Yes, that means that its seeing Netflow, but its from an unmanaged interface, or one that NPM doesn't know about.  By default NTA doesn't monitor all sources of Netflow packets that it receives, so you either need to add it manually, or tell Netflow to add all sources.

Go to your NTA settings in Orion, at the top of the page there should be a line that says "Enable automatic addition of NetFlow sources", its probably unchecked, your first option is to check this.  Why isn't it enabled already?   There might be devices that are sending netflow for interfaces you don't care about, so by default it doesn't automatically add them to NTA.

Second choice is to manually edit it.  Further down on this same page you will find a section labelled "Netflow Sources" with the description "if you have disabled the automatic addition of Netflow Sources your will need to manually add and remove Netflow interfaces".    You can do that by clicking on the link "Manually manage Netflow sources and CBQoS Polling" here.

Another possibility is that you don't have the interface managed in NPM.   #160 is the SNMP interface index, you can find out what interface this corresponds to on your device by logging into it and issuing the "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex" command.   Look for one with the ifIndex of 160 and make sure that interface is monitored in NPM.   Or, alternatively, you can go to that interface and disable netflow for it by removing "ip flow ingress/egress" on the interface.

Lastly, if Netflow is exporting with a different IP than what the device is managed, like I mentioned first, you could get this error because it doesn't recognize the device too I think.   But you might get a "doesn't recognize the device" error instead...  Not sure on this one to be honest.   The solution would be to set your source interface correctly for netflow.

knowram

Craig again thanks for the info however still no progress has been made.

"Enable automatic addition of NetFlow sources" was already check

I have manually configured the 2 vlan interfaces I added the netflow config to on my nexus.

The command "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex" isn't available on the nexus. I did find sh interface snmp-ifindex that seems to give interface snap index numbers but they look like the following.

Vlan913         151061393  (0x9010391)

Vlan915         151061395  (0x9010393)

Vlan917         151061397  (0x9010395)

Vlan918         151061398  (0x9010396)

And I verified that the netflow source interface I am using is the same ip address as the one NPM is using to monitor the device.

The odd thing is that if i look at Netflow Sources the last received netflow for the nexus is never however if i look at Top 10 netflow sources by % one of the vlan interfaces on the nexus shows up in that list.

zboyal

Hi,

I experienced the same issue, what causes this is that you enabled netflow and sent it out an unmanaged interface. The NTA database will have issue linking the ip to the main node.There's two ways to fix this disable netflow on the device and interfaces. Then list resources on the devices and manage all interfaces and re enable netflow.

or

You can use the managed sources and uncheck the device and then re check it.. Either way you will lose data so it makes sense to manage all interfaces you may use as your source on a device prior to enabling netlfow.

To add to this I had a few issues myself trying to get nexus netflow enabled and working right.We are using Version 9.

This link helped. - http://www.irisns.com/how-we-got-reliable-sampled-netflow-analyzer-data-from-ciscos-nexus-7k/

Flow exporter NetFlow-Orion:

Destination: (NTA collector)

VRF: management (1)

Destination UDP Port 2055

Source Interface mgmt0 (your mgmt ip or any interface being monitored)

Export Version 9

Sampler-table timeout 60 seconds

Interface-table timeout 60 seconds

Exporter-stats timeout 60 seconds

Data template timeout 60 seconds

Exporter Statistics

Number of Flow Records Exported 1537438

Number of Templates Exported 23120

Number of Export Packets Sent 92394

Number of Export Bytes Sent 83766724

Number of Destination Unreachable Events 0

Number of No Buffer Events 0

Number of Packets Dropped (No Route to Host) 0

Number of Packets Dropped (other) 0

Number of Packets Dropped (LC to RP Error) 0

Number of Packets Dropped (Output Drops) 0

sh sampler

Sampler: netflow-v9

ID: 196609

mode 1 out-of 100

sh flow record

Flow record netflow-original:

Description: Traditional IPv4 input NetFlow with origin ASs

No. of users: 1

Template ID: 256

Fields:

match ipv4 source address

match ipv4 destination address

match ip protocol

match ip tos

match transport source-port

match transport destination-port

match interface input

match interface output

match flow direction

collect routing source as

collect routing destination as

collect routing next-hop address ipv4

collect transport tcp flags

collect counter bytes

collect counter packets

collect timestamp sys-uptime first

collect timestamp sys-uptime last

Flow record Netflow-orion:

No. of users: 0

Template ID: 0

Fields:

match interface input

match interface output

match flow direction

sh run | i flow

feature netflow

flow timeout 30

flow timeout active 60

flow timeout inactive 30

flow exporter (name of flowexporter)

flow record Netflow-orion

sampler netflow-v9

flow monitor flowmon-v9

record netflow-original

ip flow monitor flowmon-v9 input sampler netflow-v9

I also needed to update my Sample rate under managed sources to get accurate usage to display. e.g our core device is 1-100 and data center is 1-10000

hope this helps.

thanks

knowram

Thanks zboyal for the info however my experiences are different.

Ghosts in the machine. I had thought I had done everything you mentioned countless times however this time around when I go to managed sources interfaces are showing up for the nexus I have been trying to get set up. Now my issue is that it even though I have only enabled netflow on the inbound direction on 2 vlan interfaces several interfaces keep popping up in Solarwinds as sources. does solarwinds track outbound instead of inbound or something?

zboyal

Speaking to my network guys basically an input in the nexus is an output from another..

I m sure you already checked this but I found a few issues with our DNS that really helped improve my settings. We had multiple entries for the same device. This can cause your issue as Netflow does DNS lookup up and depending which entry comes back it can show up as not managed. If you keep having issues try disabling Netflow on the device do a full node rebuild and make sure all your interfaces are monitored before you re-enable Netlfow. I did this at least once.

knowram

For future reference I had to run the following command as i also had DHCP forwarders configured on the L3 interface

Hardware access-list resource feature bank-mapping