This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM and Azure, does it work?

Hello,

I am currently evaluating solarwinds IPAM for our cross-premise infrastructure which consists of:

-Traditional datacenter (might move to azure pack soon)

-MS Azure

-Tenant networks (tradititional)

Tenants and azure are both connected to the datacenter with site to site VPNs

Will solarwinds IPAM be able to monitor/manage the Azure environment including all IP adresses?

• Bump,

Noone monitoring Azure with IPAM yet?

• I would think as long as your site-to-site VPN's didn't restrict the traffic that IPAM wants (things like PING and maybe SNMP) that it should work for what its capabilities are.   I can't think of any reason it wouldn't.   If you're planning on running straight IPSEC vs. a GRE/IPSEC combination, you might have some problems with routing or protocols, but otherwise I would think it should work ok over a VPN.

• Azure VM's are already being monitored (cpu / disk etc) with another tool. so there are no VPN restrictions.

So i guess Solarwinds IPAM will be able to monitor the Azure VM's in our private IP range  10.X /255. but what about all the public IP addresses Azure offers, and what about PaaS websites, load balancers, SQL servers? they don't have a private IP address. only public IP addresses owned by Microsoft.

If there is no out of the box solution for this, would it be able to import IP addresses from a CSV into IPAM? are there any examples available for this?

• There are no restrictions as to the type of IP address your monitoring with IPAM.  It doesn't have to be in a private range.  If you want to manage public addresses that's your choice, you just need the proper licensing to do the # of IP's.   You might run into problems with Firewall rules, NAT rules, etc. etc. in trying to do so, but there are ways to get around those.   If its got an IP address, the IP is routable (ie: not on an air-gapped network) and there are no firewall rules preventing Orion from getting to the addresses, it can potentially monitor it.

IPAM can import subnets from DHCP servers, DNS servers, a spreadsheet, or you can manually add them.   Its really quite flexible in that regard.  Whether or not its what you're looking for is another matter.

You should download a demo and play with it, get some hands on to see if it fits your needs...

• I concur with Craig on this, as long as the proper routing/firewall rules are in place IPAM will let you monitor any IP/range you would like to.