7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 1:17 PM by sacosgrove

New SolarWinds Installation

sacosgrove

How should I design the new SolarWinds deployment using the least amount of servers without affecting performance??

I have a current installation with several SolarWinds products, so I have a good idea on the overall size of my deployment.  I just finished taking 2 weeks of training at Loop1 Systems with Bill Fitzpatrick (excellent training btw if anyone gets a chance to go).  Now that I'm back in the office, I am thinking about starting over from scratch. We own/use NPM, SAM, NTA, DPA, SRM, STM (SRM-Profiler), and the additional Web Server Engine.

I know the following:

1. I will be building a new physical SQL server
      2. I will be building a new virtual Primary Poller - Orion server
      3. The remaining server(s) will be virtual

Can I get away with installing the NetFlow database (NTA itself to be installed on the primary poller), STM (SRM-Profiler), and the additional Web Server Engine on 1 virtual machine?

Here is our current usage:

• Re: New SolarWinds Installation
          automag928

We've got our NTA db a seperate vm.  Its a db server, and depending on your netflow's config'd you may have a good amount of resource usage.  Same with the web use...We've got an additional webserver but it doesnt take alot of traffic.  If they are all VMs, whats the downside to assigning them their own machines?

sacosgrove

That's the ultimate question.  The downsides to assigning them their own VM in my opinion would be; having to create the additional VMs, taking up more IPs than may be necessary, using a larger footprint, more systems that I'd have to manage for SolarWinds and Windows updates, etc...  If I can get away with consolidating one or more of these products into the same VM, it would be less overhead required to manage.

sacosgrove

Anybody else want to weigh in on this question?  I am thinking the following:

1 physical SQL server

1 virtual primary poller (for NPM, SAM, DPA, SRM, NTA module)

1 virtual front-end Web Server Engine server with the NetFlow database

1 virtual SRM - Profiler server

I guess the bottom-line question is:  Can/Should I combine the SRM-Profiler server with the Web Server Engine and the NetFlow database?

Deltona

Looks good except when combining AWS with FSDB and DPA on the primary poller. Keep them separated

1 Physical SQL Server

1 Primary Polling Engine for NPM, NTA, SAM, SRM

1 Server for FSDB

1 Server for DPA

1 Server for AWS

Is the Profiler server necessary? You already have SRM...

sacosgrove

Unfortunately, we have several HP EVA storage arrays which are not supported in SRM and probably never will be.  Therefore, I'll have to setup an additional SRM-Profiler server.

I'm thinking that I could make the new physical server "the database server".  I'll make sure it has enough physical resources.  What's the downside to it storing these 3 databases??

1. The SolarWindsOrion database
                      2. The DPA repository database (we only monitor 3 instances)
                      3. The FSDB database

So basically, you're saying I need to have a separate server for each of the products.  There has to be an accepted practice of combining one or two products on a single server.  It seems crazy to me that I'll have a whole server dedicated to each of these tasks while they're more than capable of handling a couple.

Craig Norborg

The FSDB is going to get potentially hit with a lot of data and the way it stores its data on the hard drive will mean it should have very fast and unrestricted access to its storage.  Check out the requirements and if you honestly think you can set up a VM that can meet the requirements, then give it a try.   I'd recommend a separate physical server with its own local storage myself though.

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/netflow/docs/releasenotes/requirements.htm

64 bit windows

3GHz or faster, 4-16 CPU's

20Gb on 7200 rpm disk or better + 8GB per sustained 1000 fps (flows per second), Raid 0 or 1+0 supported.

16 to 128GB RAM for production

Everything about this screams "performance", if you put it on insufficient hardware, you get problems with performance.

If you put it on the same physical server as your Orion database, they'll both be fighting for CPU and storage performance.

Not that familiar with DPA.

Don't skimp on your DB servers, they need maximum performance.   I'd virtual the poller before I did either of these.  Of course it all depends on your environment for what you might get away with.   Yours doesn't look like it should be that busy, so I think you could probably get away with anything for awhile...

sacosgrove

Here is the official response from SolarWinds support:

Update for Case #900171 - "Recommended Deployment"
                      Hi Sean,

We recommend NOT to install SRM-Profiler/STM on the same server as any Orion Products because
                      SRM-Profiler/STMcomes with it's own database (Mariadb) which is bundled with the installer.

This database can't be separated which would make SRM-Profiler/STM use more resource on the box where it's installed compared to the other Orion products using Microsoft SQL where the DB can be stored on a separate server.

Also, STM will generate a lot of disk IOPS, it will also use a lot of RAM for polling so having it installed on same box as Orion products will cause issues sooner or later.

Technically, it is possible to have those Additional Orion web server and STM installed on one server since Orion web additonal web server is mainly utilizing the IIS components and connection to the SQL database.

Also, i have forgotten to include the port requirements for all the Solarwinds apps:

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/Orion/docs/SolarWindsPortRequirements.pdf

Best Regards
                      Hati
                      Solarwinds Support

If you have any feedback about your support case and the way it has been handled, we invite you to send your comments to
                      TechnicalSupportFeedback@solarwinds.com
                      Please note that I am in the Singapore office and my working hours are from 8am to 5pm GMT +8.

Message History
                      -----Original Message-----
                      sacosgrove@seattleschools.org)
                      Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 02:55 am MYT (GMT+08:00)
                      Subject: Recommended Deployment

Thank you very much for the detailed response!!  This is exactly the kind of data I need.  My only question concerns combining the STM and the additional web server.  I think it’s fine, but under the STM requirements it states to not have any other Orion product on that server.  Do you feel that statement is accurate, or has your recommendation below been vetted enough to where you feel confident in its design?  Thank you!

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:34 AM
                      To: Cosgrove, Sean A <sacosgrove@seattleschools.org>
                      Subject: Case Update: 900171 - Recommended Deployment

Update for Case #900171 - "Recommended Deployment"
                      Hi Sean,

Please find the recommendation below:

1) Server 1: Orion Application Server1
                      SolarWinds Software Installed:
                      NPM
                      NTA
                      SAM

Recommended Deployment specs: (Physical Server or Virtual Machine)
                      Quad Core Processor 3GHz or better
                      16-32GB RAM
                      2 x 146GB 15k Hard Drives (RAID 1/Mirrored Settings)
                      1GBE NIC
                      Windows 2012, or 2008 R2 Server (64-bit) with IIS installed, running in 32-bit mode
                      .Net 3.5 + 4.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Server 2: Orion Application Server 2:(Physical Server or Virtual Machine)
                      Additional Web server.
                      SRM Profiler/STM

· 4 Cores, 16 - 32 GB RAM
                      · 100 - 300 GB of Free Disk Space
                      ·Windows 2012, or 2008 R2 Server (64-bit) with IIS installed, running in 32-bit mode
                      .Net 3.5 + 4.0

3) Server 3 Primary SQL Database Server
                      Software Installed:
                      -      Microsoft SQL Server 2012, or 2008 R2 Standard Edition.

Recommended Deployment specs (Physical server recommended)
                      Dual Quad Core Processor 3 GHz or better
                      64 GB RAM
                      Hardware RAID Controller with a battery backed-up write back cache
                      Disk Subsystem 1 Array 1: 2 x 146GB 15K disks RAID 1 (mirroring) Operating system
                      Disc Subsystem 2 Array 2: 2 x 146GB 15K disks RAID 1 (Pagefile + Extra Storage)
                      Disk Subsystem 3 Array 3: with 6x 15k 146GB or 300GB Disks configured in a RAID 1+0 arrays to allow for maximum write performance. This is for your SQL MDF AND FILEGROUPS
                      Disk Subsystem 4 Array 4: with 4x 15k 146GB or 300GB Disks configured in a RAID 1+0 arrays to allow for maximum write performance. This is for your SQL LDF Transaction LOG File
                      1Gbit LAN port.
                      Windows 2008 R2 Server (64-bit)

4) Server 4: NTA Flow Storage Database Server
                      (Optional for Maximum performance on the long run to be installed on its own server.)
                      Software Installed
                      NTA Flow storage Service (Part of NTA)

Recommended Deployment specs (Physical or Virtual Machine)
                      Quad core 3GHz processor or better
                      32 GB of RAM. To ensure optimal performance, RAM should be increased as the database size increases
                      500 GB of storage capacity on a 15k rpm SAS local NTFS disk
                      100 GB for every sustained 1000 Flows/s with 30-days retention period
                      64-bit Windows Server 2012, or 2008 Server.

Important Notes:
                      Itanium-based servers are not supported.
                      You can install the NTA Flow Storage:
                      on a Polling Engine Server (Primary or Additional)
                      on a remote machine
                      on a VM with in your environment.
                      For optimal performance, we strongly recommend a dedicated machine for the NTA Flow Storage database
                      For further information on the Flow Storage Database Server, see this links.

NTA 4.0 Installation: Frequently Asked Questions:
                      http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/5071/NTA+4.x+Installation%3A+Frequently+Asked+Questions

NTA Flow Storage Help
                      http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/netflow/default.htm#OrionNetFlowAGNTAFlowStorage.htm

Thanks
                      Best Regards
                      Hati
                      Solarwinds Support

If you have any feedback about your support case and the way it has been handled, we invite you to send your comments to
                      TechnicalSupportFeedback@solarwinds.com
                      Please note that I am in the Singapore office and my working hours are from 8am to 5pm GMT +8.