3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 3:27 PM by Craig Norborg

NTA 3.11 and SQL 2014 in compatibility mode SQL 2012

purdue98

I'm running NTA 3.11 and my existing database is SQL 2008 R3.  Both will be upgraded to NTA 4.1 and SQL 2014, respectively.  I would like recommendations on the upgrade order.

The DBA team wants to upgrade my database to SQL 2014.  NTA 3.11 doesn't support SQL 2014 so they suggested install SQL 2014 but run in SQL 2012 compatibility mode.

1) Does NTA 3.11 support running SQL 2014 in SQL 2012 compatibility mode?

2) Should I upgrade NTA 3.11 to NTA 4.1 first, then upgrade SQL 2008 to SQL 2014 and not worry about compatibility modes?

• Re: NTA 3.11 and SQL 2014 in compatibility mode SQL 2012
          Craig Norborg

Solarwinds has a "Product Upgrade Advisor" that you can try putting in your info and get a recommendation.

https://customerportal.solarwinds.com/support/product-upgrade-advisor

NTA 4.X doesn't use SQL however, it uses a separate NOSQL "Flow Storage Database", which you'll need to run on a separate server.

I'm guessing the recommended path would be to upgrade Orion to support the new NTA, then upgrade your NTA and migrate to the FSDB at the same time.   You should use the product upgrade advisor though to input a more complete snapshot of your environment as-is and where you want to go...

purdue98

Thanks, but I don't think the Product Upgrade Advisor would help me since my database version will change. I'll probably upgrade the application first, then my database.  I"m still unsure about running SQL 2014 in SQL 2012 compatibility mode.

Craig Norborg

Well, once again, with NTA 4.X the database version doesn't matter, so all you have to do is make sure your NPM works with it and you're ok.

I'd recommend upgrading to the newer Orion versions first, then upgrade your SQL server, that way you won't have compatibility problems with your old software and a new SQL server.   NPM 11.5.2 should run fine on your older SQL, and once again NTA will move to a separate "Flow Storage Database", so SQL server compatibility for it is not an issue. 

I wouldn't recommend running your database in compatibility mode either, there shouldn't be any reason to do so.

The product advisor will help you on figuring out what database software is compatible with what versions, but you are correct, it won't let you put in the old and new SQL versions.   Pretty sure because they'd recommend you upgrade your Orion products first, then upgrade the database software...