This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is It Possible To Search IPAM Description Field?

We recently started using IPAM its great but we are finding it difficult to track down what location number is tied to what IP as we have a very large IP address space. We can't seem to search the description field of each supernet we create. For example We do the following

10.20.0.0 /16 -- Root

10.20.0.4 /23 -- Location 123

it is very difficult to track down what has been tagged is there an easier way to do it rather than open every single folder and control F? Using IPAM 4.3

Thanks.

• I'm going to give this a "probably".  The default search is a bit restricted, but if you click on the down arrow in the search box, it will drop down a box of fields you can search on.  There is both "Group Description" and "System Description".  Selecting both of these will probably get you what you want, you can always trim it down to one or the other later...  Let me know if it works or not and which one you used?  emoticons_happy.png

search_ipam.jpg

• Unfortunately neither could find anything existing or even subnets I imported via DHCP. I think I just need to continue to expand all the folders and supernets and do a control F on the page as that seems to be the only way to find what I'm looking for.

I would think for an IPAM solution having a robust search function would be a high priority. It seems if the subnets aren't imported and exist the search functionality is useless.

Thanks Craig for replying and offering a suggestion.

• Did you try enabling "All Fields" to search on?  I would think its just a matter of finding the right field?

• Yes I did try that no dice. You seem to only find something once its been added as a DHCP server or has a subnet attached to it.

• Hmm...  My next approach would be to check out the databases directly, either via SWQL or SQL.   I tend to use SWQL first when playing, so I came up with a quick query and got very odd results.  Maybe someone from solarwinds would want to weigh in on this, I'd also be curious about your results.

I basically took your example, but changed the IP's slightly not to conflict with IP's we might already have in IPAM.  So I did this, from "Manage Subnets & IP Addresses" I clicked on "IP Networks" and then "Add Supernet" and added the "Root Test" subnet below with "Root Test" as the description.   Then I clicked on the "20.20.0.0" line and added the "Location 123 Test" supernet below it.

20.20.0.0 /16 -- Root Test

20.20.0.4 /23 -- Location 123 Test

Ran this query expecting to get 2 rows, but got hundreds.  692 "Root Test" rows to be exact and 1038 "Location 123 Test" rows...

SELECT SubnetId, ParentId, Address, AddressMask, CIDR, AllocSize, FriendlyName, Comments

FROM IPAM.Subnet

WHERE (Comments LIKE '%Test%')

ORDER BY Comments

I have no idea why its doing something like this?    AFAIK all the rows are >identical<.   It displays as 1, but there are tons of rows and I can't think of an explanation.

Could probably do a DISTINCT, but then you'd have to ORDER BY all the columns you want output.

I'm definitely confused a bit, was thinking we could make a simple resource with a search for you, but this part has me a bit stumped for now...

Anyone?