1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 11:05 AM by stibi

The SolarWinds NetFlow Storage Service service terminated unexpectedly.

srit2015

After migrating the NTA Flow database to a new, dedicated DB server, I am unable to get the NetFlow Storage Service to stay running. The service starts, but within a few seconds this error is generated.

"The SolarWinds NetFlow Storage Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this X time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

I also see these errors in the FastBitServerService log file:

"ERROR SolarWinds.Netflow.FastBit.Server.Service.FastBitService - Error while starting service.

ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.SharpZipBaseException: Unexpected EOF"

"ERROR SolarWinds.Netflow.FastBit.Server.Service.Program - NetFlowService will be abnormally terminated - UnhandledException was caught : ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.SharpZipBaseException: Unexpected EOF"

"ERROR SolarWinds.Netflow.FastBit.Server.Service.Program - Unhandled exception: Message: Unexpected EOF"

If I change the location of the Flow database to an empty folder and let it create a blank DB, the service starts without issue.

I am running NTA version 4.0.2620.0, which is the same as the server I migrated from.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Re: The SolarWinds NetFlow Storage Service service terminated unexpectedly.
          stibi

Hi,

I have found following:

Symptoms of known Issue
          The Netflow.exe service (local FSDB) or SolarWinds.Netflow.Fastbit.Server.Service.exe (remote FSDB) keeps bouncing or stops.
          This is caused by a corrupt –update.zip file. 
          If this file is 0KB it is corrupt.

Issue 1)
          Examples errors can be found in FastbitService.log

ERROR SolarWinds.Netflow.FastBit.Server.Service.FastBitService - Error while starting service.
          ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.SharpZipBaseException
          : Unexpected EOF
            at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.Compression.Streams.InflaterInputBuffer.Fill()

Resolution to this issue:
          1.   Go to the following directory ( default) C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\NTA\FlowStorage\Data
          2.   Backup to desktop first and then delete the –update.zip file only, do NOT delete the _update folder
          3.   Start Netflow or Fastbit service.

I would recommend to upgrade NTA as this was fixed in NTA v4.0.1

Thank you,

Petr