This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create an "Active Alerts" view based only on critical alerts

Hello,

I was attempting to create a new view for a NOC time. Within this view, I wanted to include an "Active Alerts" view, but I wanted the view to only show alerts with a severity of critical. Is there any way to filter the alerts down to only critical alerts?

Thanks

• Not natively, but you can create a report using SWQL that should meet your needs:

SWQL - Active Alerts Report

To limit by severity to only Critical alerts, try this: (note the addition of line 19)

SELECT

o.AlertConfigurations.Name AS [ALERT NAME]

,'/Orion/NetPerfMon/ActiveAlertDetails.aspx?NetObject=AAT:' + ToString(o.AlertObjectID) AS [_LinkFor_ALERT NAME]

,o.EntityCaption AS [ALERT OBJECT]

,o.EntityDetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_ALERT OBJECT]

,o.RelatedNodeCaption AS [RELATED NODE]

,o.RelatedNodeDetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_RELATED NODE]

,ToLocal(o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime) AS [ALERT TRIGGER TIME]

,o.AlertActive.TriggeredMessage AS [ALERT MESSAGE]

,CASE

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 1 then 'Critical'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 2 then 'Serious'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 3 then 'Warning'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 4 then 'Informational'

WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 5 then 'Notice'

END AS [Severity]

FROM Orion.AlertObjects o

WHERE o.AlertActive.TriggeredMessage <> ''

AND o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 1

ORDER by o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime DESC

And please go vote on this Feature Request to have all of this functionality added to the native resource:

Thanks!

-ZackM

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

<EDITED TO UPDATE TIMESTAMP TO LOCAL INSTEAD OF UTC>

• Thanks for the help! It worked great. I added a vote on the feature request page, so hopefully it will be easier to accomplish this in the future.

• Thanks so much for this!

I'm trying to modify this to only return alerts of critical severity AND from the past 24 hours.

I tried modifying the last lines of the query to filter for the difference between the trigger time and current date is less than 1, any idea where I may be making a mistake? Thanks

WHERE o.AlertActive.TriggeredMessage <> '' 

AND o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 1

AND DayDiff(AlertActive.TriggerDateTime, getdate())<1

ORDER by o.AlertActive.TriggeredDateTime DESC

• I'm trying to use this query, but it looks like the severity doesn't quite match up.

• Because making the numbers progress the same as the UI would be too simple emoticons_wink.png , try this

1.   ,CASE
    2. WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 2 then'Critical'
    3. WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 3 then'Serious'
    4. WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 1 then'Warning'
    5. WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 0 then'Informational'
    6. WHEN o.AlertConfigurations.Severity = 4 then'Notice'
    7. ENDAS [Severity]
  • Thanks, that did the trick.

• two more questions if you don't mind.  I'm trying to add a AND not acknowledged to this.  Do you know what the o.Alert(whatever) is?  Also where does everyone go to see a list of all these database objects?

• o.AlertActive.AcknowledgedBy is not null

And to answer your second question, it is important to note that SWQL is actually an abstraction layer between the tool and the database, so there isn't exactly a 1 to 1 relationship between how things are laid out in swql and how they are in the database.  With that said, the best way to see how to build these queries is to download the SDK from the Solarwinds Github Releases · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• I'm using this swql query but I'd like to add an Acknowledged "YES" or "NO" and whom/who acknowledged the alert.  My swql fu is lacking and I look fwd to your reply.

Thx