8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 2:43 AM by lynchnigel

Group Alerting

srclark

Is anyone aware if it is possible to crete alerting on a group of interfaces?

I have created a group for all my uplink interfaces.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up a high utilization alert on the group.

When I called support, their solution is to create a custom property, and set up interface alerting as opposed to group alerting.

That seems like a ton of work to go through thousands of interfaces and set a custom property, when I should just be able to set the alerting on a group?

Does anyone know if that's possible?

• Re: Group Alerting
          rharland2012

I have a question about your desired alert.

So say you have a group of X number of interfaces in this group. What is the trigger for this desired alert? Are all of the interfaces in the group at some percentage or higher, or is some number of the interfaces above some number, or what?

srclark

We would like all of the interfaces in the group alert and reset at the same percentage

rharland2012

Okay, so you already set up a group with 'thousands of interfaces'. That was also a lot of work, sounds like.

Are there any commonalities to the nodes to which these interfaces belong? Do the nodes contain custom properties or other properties are the same?

If so, you may be able to build an accurate alert based on high utilization, where an additional condition of the trigger could be the custom property of the nodes.

lynchnigel

How about setting up an alert for ANY interface that goes above a threshold IE 90% ?

are there some you wish to exclude?

lynchnigel

The group will have something in common, so in the top "scope of alert" section you set that to that common thing

srclark

No I don't want to alert on all interfaces

According to support what I'm trying to do is not possible. I created a group called uplink interfaces, I just want to report utilization on that group.  The only way to accomplish is to set or create a custom property that all desired interfaces have in common.

So, in other words, you have to go in to every interfaces and set the custom property..very inefficient.

With a group, I can just select the interfaces I want, and click add.

We can close this discussion, we've already spent the time to go through and update all the custom properties