5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 8:53 AM by npereira1

Outage Duration Report...  Help Please

k1gaudineer

I am struggling with the new web based report tool in SW V11.5.1.  I am trying to recreate an outage report that I used a lot in Report Writer.  I am just trying to group outages with Node names.  The goal is to get a report that will have a node name all all of the different outages for this node and the duration of each outage last month.  So if Node A had 5 different outages the report would like like this...

Node A

Node Down 9-15-15 10:00 am   Node Up: 9-15-15 11:30 am  Duration 90

Node Down 9-17-15 3:00pm      Node Up: 9-17-15 3:45 pm    Duration 45

|

ect...  ect...

I can get a report that prints all of the node down events.  Then a report that prints all of the node up events and I can copy that info into Excel and manually get the data but I would like to have Orion produce the same report.  Do I need to add multiple data sources to get this to work?

• Re: Outage Duration Report...  Help Please
          automag928

Just curious, but are you wanting to move away from report writer?  I've integrated some of my report writer reports into the gui.  I find the report writer alot easier to make more granular type reports if that makes sense.

k1gaudineer

Yes we are moving away from Report writer.  The plan as we understand it now, is that SolarWinds wants to do away with Report Writer and all reporting will need to be down with the new web based report tool.  So far I'm not a fan of the web report tool it is extremely hard to use and very difficult to manage.  Report writer was a breeze.  What use to take just a couple of minutes to do is now taking hours.

humejo

I was in the same boat as you up until about 6 months ago and always preferred the old Report Writer to the web based one, but now that I know how to use the web reporting tool it is FAR easier to use and much more diverse with the types of reports you can make.  You can do every single thing the old Report Writer could do (except for one, I'll get to that later) and much much more.  You just need to work through the frustration and make yourself use the web reports and once you learn the ins and outs you won't be able to stand going back to the old Report Writer at all (I know I can't.  The old one is so dang slow compared to the new one).  I can make a Report on the web in a quarter of the time as the old tool and it will look much nicer and have more features.  The one thing you can't do with the new web reports that really drives me nuts is that you can't embed your reports onto views like the old one.  The reason why is that with the web reports you aren't limited to putting one thing on your reports like the old one (the old Report Writer just allowed you to create one table per Report.  You couldn't do charts either like you can with the new one).  In fact, you can have bunches and bunches of things on a single report on the web (for example, you can have a wide table at the bottom of your report and two charts side-by-side above the table). Building web reports has more in common with building custom views than it does building reports since you can put multiple items on a single report and change the layout and types of items as well (I honestly wished building views was more like building web reports.  You'd have more diverse options with the layout.) Since it obviously wouldn't work to put a web report into a single resource on a view, what I really REALLY wish they would do is let you use custom tables and charts that you've created to be placed onto other web reports and views instead of having to manually create them over and over again.  Other than that gripe, web reports are far superior to the old Report Writer in every way, including speed and ease of use once you get past the slight learning curve in the beginning (and the learning curve only exists because of the lack of some documentation around a few tips and tricks that make it easier.)