4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 12:45 AM by zheepern

Email notification group

zheepern

Hi All,

Please advise me on below quetion as i am very new to Solarwinds.

For every syslog alerts/traps trigger, I know it can be configure to send an email notification to specific people (as shown below).

Email Notification.JPG

Can we create a group in Solarwinds which contain multiple user instead of list down the users one by one in the alerts ?

I am trying to check this because there are too many process to go through if we are creating new company group email.

Thank you very much in advance.

Eric

• Re: Email notification group
          rschroeder

I had the same need, and simple asked my E-mail (Exchange/Outlook) administrator to create a group e-mail address for my team, then put all of our accounts into it.

Then I reference that group e-mail address within Orion.

Before this I simply had my e-mail address on the To: line, and my coworkers' addresses on the CC: line.  That worked, although it's not as elegant as having a group e-mail address that includes everyone's e-mail addresses.

zheepern

Hi rschroeder,

Thank for your reply. Currently we are manually include the email address in each alerts and it takes time to remove or add new email.

I would like to check any possibility to create a group in solarwinds instead of asking my company email administrator to create a new group email. (Boss requirement )

Thank in advance for the reply.

Eric

rschroeder

Do you have outside vendors who support your WAN or Internet?  If so, has your organization created a single e-mail address group for them to send maintenance notifications to? 

If so, there's your group e-mail address.  If not, I strongly recommend it.  Your Active Directory security administrators and e-mail administrators can do it quickly and easily.

I realize you want to do this solely in Orion.  I apologize that I don't have the information you want right now--at home, getting ready for bed. 

I searched thwack for "group e-mail address creation" or the equivalent, but did not find a method to create a group e-mail within Orion.  All I found was references to using pre-created e-mail groups from Outlook/Exchange, or using a list of individual users. 

The last resource, if no one from Thwack has the answer you want, is to reference the online manual for NPM and NCM.  It's very likely to have instructions that cover this--either saying it can't be done, or describing how to do it.

Good luck with your project!  If you find a method for creating a group e-mail address within Orion, please post the steps.  I'm sure others will be interested in your results.

zheepern

Hi rschroeder,

I have roughly go through he NPM admin guide and can't find any info on creating group in Solarwinds. Most likely have to create a distro group within company and put it in.

Anyway, thanks for your advice and good night

*If anyone else know there is a way to create a distro group in Orion please leave your comment. Thanks in advance.

Eric.