This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is it possible to add subnets to Discovery automatically, when we use the subnet from IPAM?

Hello,

I have an issue with Discovery. I really want to add devices automatically in Discovery process, when we use a device for the first time. For instance, there is a subnet in IPAM, and I use it for the first time. I assign an IP address to my device, but there is no such subnet in Discovery. Then I just forget about this device and I don't discover it. As a result, I lost my device.

SO, my question is: Is it possible to add subnets from IPAM to Discovery process?

• Only if you feel very comfortable with SQL and xml.

The only published import into discovery is through Active Directory.

• Oh, there is one problem, I am a newbie in that. Any tips how to do it?

Thank you!

• I would not even attempt it.

After having attempted it.

• emoticons_happy.png

Bad experience? And what actually happened? )

• Let's take a less dangerous route - here's a terrible query that joins the IPAM_Node table with the DiscoveryProfiles table and returns the first 1000 IP's which are not found in the profiles. Feel free to pull instead from the IPAM_Group (subnets) and search profiles for the subnet friendly name.

Use [insert your db name];

SELECT TOP 1000 ip.IPADDRESS

FROM dbo.IPAM_Node ip

LEFT OUTER JOIN do.DiscoveryProfiles dp ON dp.PluginConfigurations LIKE '%'+ip.IPADDRESS+'%'

WHERE dp.Name IS NULL

• It's hard to swallow for me this line:

LEFT OUTER JOIN do.DiscoveryProfiles dp ON dp.PluginConfigurations LIKE '%'+ip.IPADDRESS+'%'

How is it possible?

PluginConfigurations doesn't contain simple info, there is xml strings, and after checking xml file, I found only info about subnets.

Plus, PluginConfigurations field in DiscoveryProfiles table, how can we use join there?

Thank you.

• You wanted to know which subnets were in IPAM but not in a discovery profile?

This takes all IPAM ips, looks in the discovery profile xml text string for them and returns where there was no match.

• Hello,

Thinking about this issue, I understand that firstly, I wanted to know what IP addresses are in Polling IP Address column are not in IPAM. I made a report, but I am not sure it's right. Can you help me to fix a problem, please?

SELECT

IPAM_GroupReportView.FriendlyName AS Display_Name, NodesData.IP_Address as IP, IPAM_GroupReportView.Comments as Comments

FROM IPAM_NodeReportView

right JOIN NodesData ON (IPAM_NodeReportView.IPAddress=NodesData.IP_Address)

inner JOIN IPAM_GroupReportView ON (IPAM_NodeReportView.SubnetId=IPAM_GroupReportView.GroupId)

WHERE 

(

(IPAM_NodeReportView.IPStatus = 'Used')

)

order by 1 asc

My main idea was to get the list of subnets from IPAM and their names, plus all IP addresses from IP Polling Addresses column. And I wanted to see if there are IP addresses which are in polling column, but are not in IPAM? I thought it returned me the list with NULL in such fields like Display_Name(Subnet) and Comments(Subnet name). But I get the list with all full fields. But I know that there is a subnet in Polling IP Addresses column, which is not in IPAM.

How should I change my report?

Thank you in advance.