This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Steps for migrating NPM instance into another existing NPM instance

I was hoping someone may have done this before, and wanted any/all input I could gather before I build a MOP to complete the task.

Currently, company has two instance of NPM:

- 1 for sites in North America.

- 1 for sites outside of North America.

We would like to move the outside of North America sites into the existing North America NPM instance. At that time we will then have a single instance of NPM handling all sites and nodes for the company.  Then we will decommission the older server.

NPM on both servers is 11.0.1

NTA is 3.11.0

Thanks in Advance.

• Looks like someone tried it in the past - Combining two NPM instances into one

I doubt you would still be able to retain historical data, you would probably have to start fresh with the newly merged instance.

• I believe from that I'm reading that the historical data on the old system and database will likely be lost on the instance I'm moving and shutting off.

• Is the goal somewhat merging the data, or reducing the # of servers?   Even if you could merge data onto one server, the usefulness of some of the data at that point, such as that regarding latency or response, would be minimal.    I would think the response time would rise quite a bit moving it into the US.    However, if you don't care much about reducing the # of servers, Enterprise Operations Console is made to take multiple different instances of Orion and somewhat merge them into one.   This would be a case in which I would think it would be useful....

• It is best to ask your DBA. I think it's not possible because if there are two instances differents the same will have the same index in the table so there is no way to joining them. But that's what I think.
    But will your DBA is very good magic and can do what you want then just run the Configuration Wizard at the end he will carry the NPM with the 2 sites information in one.

• I will ask the DBA for his input on the situation. However, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking you're right. If you take the server (let's call it NPM#2) and migrate the nodes to NPM#1 - that will be fine and work, but taking the NPM#2 data and putting it in NPM#1 database I don't think you can do that.

• When it comes right down to it what you are really trying to do is to add the nodes that were on one system to your main system you are going to keep.  You could export the list of nodes and then just past the list of nodes into discovery and let your main system discover them.  This means some pain because you'll have to setup each the node the way you liked from before.  At least this way you know they will all correct in the database.  I supose it comes down to how many nodes you are talking about and how much you customize the monitoring of interfaces on each one.