This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds holds on to old resource names after OS change on Nokia IP series firewall - help

I changed the OS on one of the firewalls that I support from Nokia's IPSO to Checkpoint Gaia.  Gaia changed the name of the interfaces used by the device.  It seems like Solarwinds is still trying to monitor the old interface names because on the node details page for this firewall in the section titled "Current Percent Utilization of Each Interface", I still see the old names but not the new names of the interfaces.  Also the status for all the interfaces it's trying to monitor is "unknown".  The polling method for this device is SNMP and ICMP, using SNMPv2c.  I assume the original interface names were learned by Solarwinds via SNMP.  Is there some old lingering SNMP data that needs to be deleted so that Solarwinds doesn't try to monitor the interfaces by referencing the old interface names?

• You will need to go into Settings> Manage Nodes. Expand out the device and you will see all Interfaces Both up and Unkown. This is where you will be able to remove the Interfaces.

• From what I know SolarWinds use the IfIndex as a tag for interfaces. If there had been any changes from the device and it was found that the current interface has changed, Interface index on the solarwinds side will be set to -1. You can confirm this by checking the interface details of the unknown interface.

To be able to remove these unknown interfaces, it needs to be removed manually from the Nodes Management, select your affected node and expand. select the unknown interfaces and delete.

To rediscover, you can add the new interfaces by running list resources to the affected node.

• That got it.  Thanks for your help!

• Thanks for your help!  All better now emoticons_happy.png

• I agree with the correct answer selected here.  Now for the gotcha.

I have a few nodes where the unknown interfaces still won't go away even following these instructions.  My suspicion is that the devices were changed out with a different model, and the new devices don't have those interfaces at all.  Now I can't seem to delete them.  They don't show up when doing a List Resources.  They still show up in the Manage Nodes view and the specific Node View.  It seems like they are stuck in the database.

I could try to delete the node and re-add it to see if that fixes the problem, but I would lose any historical data if I do.