This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Quotation marks in Alert ?

Hi All,

I have the problem, that in my Alerts sometimes I have quotation marks instead of an application name or state. Something like:

Component  of Application "Windows DHCP Server" on server1 is currently in a "" state. 

or

Component  of Application "" on server1 is currently in a "" state. 

I have no idea what happen or the problem could be, because its very randomly.

Hope someone could help me.

• It is almost certainly a variable issue.  I have had this happen before on certain alerts. Some variables just don't seem to be parsed and passed through to the alert.  A dirty fix is to replace the variable with actualy name of the application or state.  We went a step further and opened a case and they were able to troubleshoot the paticular variables in question.  Sometimes we had to use a different variable, in other instances we had to use a different "type of property to monitor" in the edit alert settings.

• Sylvia,

I agree with acgarton. This looks to be a variable issue. One of the nice things about the recent 11.5 release was the simulate button in alert creation. Have you tried going through several variable iterations and simulating to see the resulting e-mail? I hate using English in alerts, as acgarton calls it a "dirty fix", which it is! Is this happening across the board or only for particular devices? What polling method are the failing devices using? SNMP or WMI?

Thanks!

Dave Burton

Loop1 Systems

• Please ensure you are running SAM 6.2.1, or preferably SAM 6.2.2. More importantly however, ensure that you've installed Orion Core 2015.1.2 Hot Fix 5 from your Customer Portal, as many bugs related to the new web based alert manager have been addressed with those releases.

• I should probably already know this, but is there a place besides the release notes where I can find the known bugs for web alert manager?

• Better? No. Alternatives would include things like the knowledge base, and Thwack.

• After Upgrade to 6.2.2 everything works fine now.