This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Permissions trouble with Bind (Linux) Monitor

Hello,

I'm trying to get Orion's built in Bind (Linux) monitor to work on our Linux DNS servers. The account running the script has been given full access to the servers; however, I am getting the following permission denied errors. The account running the script has read permissions on these files.

Output: =====================================================

perl /tmp/APM_88008846.pl

sh: /var/opt/novell/log/named/named.stats: Permission denied

sh: /var/opt/novell/log/named/named.stats: Permission denied

Does it need write permissions as well? It doesn't seem like it would to me, but I know very little about Linux.

• SAM is trying to parse (read) the contents of this file, but either the file does not exist or the user account you've specified in the monitor does not have read permissions to that file.

• Don't these file permissions indicate that everyone, including the Orion account, have access to read the file?

-rw-r--r-- 1 named named      199 Sep 18 11:15 named.stats

• This reads that the owner of the file has both read and write access, group has read, and others have read as well. So yes, the it would appear the file is read-only for all users.

• That being the case do you know why the script would return the permission denied error when trying to read the file?

• The permission denied error you are receiving is coming from the operating system, not the script itself. I would recommend running the script as 'root' to ensure it works and eliminate any permissions issues. Once you've verified the script works, you can then go through the script and ensure that all command line tools have the appropriate permissions for the user account you're trying to use for monitoring. It's my theory that the issue is with the 'rndc' command not having the execute permission for the user account you are using.