15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 7:03 AM by bluefunelemental

Node Location property

laminblake

Is it possible to assign the group name to the node's location property automatically? This would be very useful when performing node searches based on its location as I have each group being a specific location that automatically assigns nodes based on the subnet they belong to.

• Re: Node Location property
          cjfranca

I think in settings can you to create cp and add nodes or groups.

laminblake

I dabbled around with that for a bit but couldn't find a way to create a dynamic rule that would insert the group name into a custom property field. The goal here is to be able to do a node search by group name. Since i have 600 groups looking up nodes located under a group by doing a search is faster than looking them up manually in the "All Groups" menu

cjfranca

You can to create a new view with custon query or custon html for search group names.

I see this a better ideia.

humejo

There is a way to label custom properties automatically now (which, by the way, custom properties should be the primary way that you group and organize nodes, not Groups, which seems counter-intuitive, but in Orion Groups aren't very useful as an organizational tool since they cannot be accessed in very many areas of the software.  For example, when administering nodes in many of the management type pages, like Manage Nodes for instance, you can't group by, display, or search on group names, but you can do these things with custom properties.  Groups should be used for creating status objects to display on maps or for using dynamic rules to assign objects to for view filtering and such, not for organizing your inventory.)  Anyways, to dynamically assign custom property values to nodes you have two options:

- As long as you are on version 11.5 or newer, you can create an alert that will modify a custom property value as its action.  The downside to this method is that you have to have a separate alert for each and every value that you want to assign, which means that if you have a custom property called Location_Site for example and you have 10 Sites that a node may be located in, you will have to create 10 alerts, each with the action of modifying a custom property to one of your 10 values based on the corresponding Trigger Condition.  A better, however more advanced solution would be the next option:

- Use the API (the Orion SDK) and create a powershell script that you run as a scheduled task a few times a day (if you want something more instant you can have a single alert whose Trigger Condition is to run a program and kick the script off instantly that way).  In the script you can put your query logic in to determine the proper custom property value to update based on the group.  Depending on  your familiarity with Powershell and SWQL (Solarwinds Query Language which is very similar to SQL) this may be more\less work than the first option, but is far more flexible than the first one.

-HumeJo

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services     

bluefunelemental

+1 for not using group membership to drive a single value field.

What do you do if a node is a member of multiple groups?

I set the location value via IP address which is easy. You could also use dynamic group filters to assign to groups based on a custom property.

laminblake

I currently assign nodes to groups based on a dynamic query that looks for the begging portion of the ip address since each location has it's own subnet (ex 172.27.7.) My issue was with so many groups (around 550 being that we have 550 locations with their own unique subnet) I cannot do a search for a specific group. I can search for nodes, but not groups. There is no resource to search for groups, unlike nodes.

humejo

Yep, which is why Groups really aren't a good thing for organization.  So many clients I go to and see they have a ton of groups setup and no custom properties.  They have no ability to sort\search\filter\group in most of the solarwinds products since Groups aren't used in most of it.   Don't get me wrong, Groups have their purpose and being able to do Dynamic Queries to populate groups is great, but once you have an object in a Group you are just very limited in what you can do with it.  I would love to see dynamic rules for custom properties become a feature, and I think that that is what they were attempting with the Edit Custom Property Alert action, but having to create a separate alert for every value on every custom property, even with the ability to copy alerts, is tedious and potentially creates a lot of alerts to administer.  A more elegant dynamic rule system for Custom Properties would be much much better.

laminblake

I agree, if i could simply create a custom property only applies that nodes with a specific ip address like 172.27.7. that would be the preferred route to go. I could still have dynamic groups because it "looks nice" but if i wanted to do individual searches based on that property it would give me the same info as dynamic groups, just faster...

humejo

You can!  As discussed it won't be dynamic unless you use the two options I replied with earlier, but... To do so just create new custom property (Settings > Manage Custom Properties > Add a Custom Property) with a True\False Yes\No type.  Then, in the Custom Property Editor (Settings > Manage Custom Properties > select the new property you created and click > View\Edit Values) simply add in the IP_Address column if it isn't already in the table, click the little filter icon beside the word IP_Address in the column header, type in the part of the IP Address you want to filter it down to, and select it to True.

Now, I caution people using boolean custom property types since it can get quite carried away and you may end up with a ton of them.  If the purpose of the property is to mark where a node is located for example then instead of a separate True\False custom property for every location in your company, create a single text type Custom Property called "Location_Site".  Then, restrict its values to only the sites in your company.  Next, go into the Custom Property Editor per my last paragraph's earlier instructions and filter by each of the networks and label all of the match results accordingly.  If you have hundreds and\or thousands of nodes and several custom properties, some people find it easier to create the custom properties in Orion, then use the Export Custom Property feature in the Manage Custom Properties screen to export your entire inventory to a spreadsheet.  Then, you can use Excels powerful sorting\filtering capabilities to label all of your nodes and their properties and values.  Afterwards, simply Import the updated spreadsheet back into the Manage Custom Properties screen and presto!  They're all labelled.  (Be warned that importing a spreadsheet will overwrite the current values in the database, even if the spreadsheet has a custom property field that is blank it will overwrite that empty value on top of a populated value in your Orion database.  I always keep a backup copy of my export before I edited it just in case I do something like that then I can re-import the original export and go back to where I started before I screwed up).